wirelass connection

Reaction score
Hi, I have one laptop which is wireless enabled. I'm currently with talktalk landline & broadband package and access the internet through an external modem. I want to go wireless but don't have a clue how I do this. Do I need a router, a hub or both? I only want to connect with one single laptop.
Thanks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You only need a wireless modem, but this would be a good buy as it has 4 x netwoking ports on it, so you could plug in a printer and other computers aswell.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

happywave.gif

Reaction score
greenascabbage said:
Hi, I have one laptop which is wireless enabled. I'm currently with talktalk landline & broadband package and access the internet through an external modem. I want to go wireless but don't have a clue how I do this. Do I need a router, a hub or both? I only want to connect with one single laptop.
Thanks.

Did you get your Talk Talk through Carphonewarehouse..? If so ring them up and tell them you want to go with somebody else that will provide you with a wireless router..Chances are they'll send you one for free to keep you with them...

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies Abarbarian & Madxgraphics.
I didn't get broadband through Carphonewarehouse. Got it direct from talktalk. Would any make of modem or router do or haswould it have to be from talktalk?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Any make will do. :thumb:

I use TalkTalk and have a Thompson Speedtouch Wireless Router. :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do Talk Talk use ADSL then? It's defininitely not a cable connection they use?

I ask, cos I don't know :D

Reaction score
Yeah ADSL mate via BT phone line. Same as Sky (i think), all ADSL. Unless sky uses Bandwidth from the dish. Althou I doubt it!

People get confused they think a router is a router and just buy one thats why I said "make sure its not cable"

They are very very alike but obviously they wont function either way

If in doubt read the description before buying dont just assume you have the correct one. That of course a presumption that you are goign to buy one?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Okey doke :thumb:

In that case just a plain old wireless ADSL Modem would do then, if it's only going to be for one laptop with no network expansion plans.

Not that many printers network enabled either.

Reaction score
AS MAdX suggested if you go to them and ask for one they mya just give you one.

Will save you £30 - £40 i guess

Ask a Question