Winzip wont unzip?????

Reaction score
Ok. Firstly guys this is my first post so hello.Today i went to Zest games in Bangkok(where i live) where i can buy original games. After browsing and thinking about Brothers in Arms. I came accross ths game DeuxEx Invisble War. Thought i'd give it a go. So got home and done some things around the room. Finally have just sat down and decided to load this game up. So insert the disk nothing happens then windows kicksa in and shows me whats on the disc. One Zip file. So far so good. So i try to unZip the file. Then its gives me this message...
WinZip cannot open D:\data3.cab because its not in the standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid 1998). The "signature bytes" required by the Microsoft CaB specification are missing.

Bare in mind this is an ORIGINAL game and not a copy. So any ideas guys. I dont know what to do except take the game back tomorrow and see if they will swap the game for something else. Was looking forward to playing this.

PC specs......
Athlon 64/3000 Socket 939
Mainboard with 939 socket with VGA slot
NEO 2
2x 512 Ram(400)
160GB HD (MT)
Geforce Fx 5900 graphics card.
Running Xp by the way. Cheers in advance.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Jockstar!

If there is only 1 CAB file on the disk you probably have a faulty CD, as there should be a setup file there too. WinZip can't extract all CAB files as they are part of the setup program.

Are you 100% sure there are no other files on the CD?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Deus Ex Invisible War should auto start when you insert the CD.

It may look like an original but if you purchased it in Thailand, well, you never know...

Try using This program to unzip it. It's a freebie and covers all ZIP formats.

Reaction score
Also please realise that even Windows(r) has diffrenet cab files and setups in other countries. I know this from experience trying to install Windows 2000 and WindowsXP (japanese versions) on a system, I could not use UBD or partition magic, I had to get the japenses boot disk. So it may be a compatability problem- If its an original contact the OEM- maybe there is a patch.

Reaction score
Doh!

Ok. Thanks for any help that you gave guys. Found out what the problem was. Really simple but the manufacturers fault. One disc was marked INSTALL the other GAME. So obviously i use the INSTALL disk. Would you not? I thought **** it. I'll try other disc as a last resort. None of these discs were marked Disc 1 or Disc 2 just what i stated before. So tried the GAME disc. And it worked. Doh! Maybe the discs were marked wrong? I dont know?Maybe i'm dumb? :( But its working now. I feel stupid. :confused:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
My thought was going to be that you had got the wrong disk in the drive.
A really crappy manufacturer error though, to have the disks printed wrongly, I should think that'll really confuse a lot of people.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now I think of it, Painkiller was like that, I should have thought of it.

Another clue was that there was only a zip file on the disk you were trying to install from, no .exe file.

I should have spotted that, me bad.

I have failed miserably, beat me with a bunch of celery :eek:

Ask a Question