Windows XP shutdown dialogue

Boris

I have recently (6 months ago) upgraded my laptop from
Windows 2000 to Windows XP professional.
My shutdown dialogue is the traditional box with a drop
down selection of shutdown options. The box ("Shut Down
Windows" identifies itself as a Windows XP box but I would
like to change this dialogue to the new XP style with
icons for the various shutdown modes, rather than a drop
down list. However, I have been unable to find any way of
achieving this and would appreciate any suggestions.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click User Accounts.
3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
4. Place a check in the "Use the Welcome screen" check box.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Boris" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I have recently (6 months ago) upgraded my laptop from
| Windows 2000 to Windows XP professional.
| My shutdown dialogue is the traditional box with a drop
| down selection of shutdown options. The box ("Shut Down
| Windows" identifies itself as a Windows XP box but I would
| like to change this dialogue to the new XP style with
| icons for the various shutdown modes, rather than a drop
| down list. However, I have been unable to find any way of
| achieving this and would appreciate any suggestions.

Boris

Dear Carey,
Many thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, we use a Novell Network and the Novell
client has "disabled the Welcome screen and fast user
switching...". Is there any way of activating the new
style dialogues without activating the Welcome screen?
Many thanks again.
Best wishes, Boris,

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Joining Computer to Domain Causes "Friendly" User Interface to be Replaced by Classic View
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303594&Product=winxp

A Discussion About the Availability of the Fast User Switching Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294739&Product=winxp

Description of the Fast User Switching Compatibility Service
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294855&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Dear Carey,
| Many thanks for the tip.
| Unfortunately, we use a Novell Network and the Novell
| client has "disabled the Welcome screen and fast user
| switching...". Is there any way of activating the new
| style dialogues without activating the Welcome screen?
| Many thanks again.
| Best wishes, Boris,

Andrew Mitchell

Boris said:
Dear Carey,
Many thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, we use a Novell Network and the Novell
client has "disabled the Welcome screen and fast user
switching...".

The Novell Client replaces SHGina.dll as the login manager with (IIRC)
NWGina.dll. (This is the dll that provides the login screen when Windows
first boots). If the default gina dll is replaced then the fast user
switching and friendly logins/shutdowns are not available.

The Netware client is not the only thing to do this. Smart Card
authentication, joining a windows domain or even installing PC Anywhere will
disable it by installing their own version of Gina.

Andy.