Windows XP windows xp pro os

Reaction score
my husband has a copy of xp pro 64 bit os and when he wrote the code done all the letters ans numbers messed up on the key i need to no how to get a key that he can use cause he is trying to reboot his system and needs a product key and its not a beta
plz help

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you're on about there malissa :confused:

This 'does' your husband has - what is that?

Is it perhaps a a copy of a version of Windows Operating system you need a code (key) number for?

It can't be DOS as I first thought as all versions of DOS never had code numbers.

If you do need a code number for Windows the only way you can legally obtain one is from Microsoft or may I suggest using the one that came with Windows? (if that is, indeed, the problem here).

Reaction score
my husband has a copy of xp pro 64 bit os and when he wrote the code done all the letters ans numbers messed up on the key i need to no how to get a key that he can use cause he is trying to reboot his system and needs a product key and its not a beta
plz help

my husband has a copy of xp pro 64 bit os and when he wrote the code "down?" all the letters "and?" numbers "incorrect?" on the key. i need to "know?" how to get a key that he can use cause he is trying to "reinstall?" his system and needs a product key and its not a beta
plz help

little better i think? ;)

Malissa you need to either purchase a key or use the key that is supplied on the sticker usually placed on the side of the pc. if you already have a key but it is not a 64bit version it will not work. if that is the case you will indeed need to purchase your own. or an entire original copy of XP pro x64

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well thank you malissa, by editing your post you've made a nonsense of my reply, would have been better to repost.

Reaction score
I believe he's written down the Product Number... not the license code.
With previous versions of Windows this acceptable as the Product and license code were the same.
How-ever with XP onwards (and maybe W 2K... not sure my 27 yr old memory isn't too good) the license code would be converted into a product code when entered. Unfortunately you can't use a product code to activate Windows XP.

Here's the next thing though... MS licensing states that any officially licensed version of Windows XP must have a license sticker on the side or top of the computer (or underside if a laptop). If it doesn't then naughty naughty. Being a MCSE, MCICT, MCSA (could also list aload of MCPs) I can't and wont help you find a license key for an unlicensed version.

You may be lucky and be able to buy an OEM license and media disc of ARIA.co.uk
The other option is a downgrade license where you buy a Vista/W7 license and downgrade to XP but I have a feeling they have either stopped that or are about to.

Ask a Question