Windows XP Windows XP Asking for Verification

Reaction score
My windows xp operating system was working just fine, now I get a message that I need to activate windows, and then i get directed to a page that requires the key code, I don't have original installation cd, and I typed in product key code on sticker located on the side of the tower. Any advice on what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
You have Windows XP, and it's asking for you to activate Windows, assuming that you require a product key. Did you buy Windows XP or did you get it without paying?

If your Windows XP was working fine before you got this message, it might be that you installed Windows XP trial, each version of Windows XP lasts 30 days for free, you then need a product key or some form of activation to keep using it properly.

If you downloaded XP without paying, it's likely that one of Microsoft's updates broke it:
Windows XP Genuine Advantage Notification checks to see if you're running a genuine copy of Windows XP and will notify you, if you aren't, it'll make suggestions on what to do without running a fully activated or licensed copy of Windows you cannot receive any proper support for Windows XP or any other Microsoft software that will run on it. You also won't be able to download any updates from Microsoft update or Windows update, until you confirm it is fully activated.

To attempt to troubleshoot the problem you could try the following :
1) Login as Administrator.
2)Start
3)all programs
4)accessories
5)System tools.
6)System Restore
7) choose the time, date, and month Windows XP was working before it was telling you it wasn't activated.
Click next your computer will restart and restore back to the chosen destination.

If that doesn't work i can help you to create a Windows XP disc, which is easy!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I typed in product key code on sticker located on the side of the tower. Any advice on what to do?

Assuming it is the original install that came with the PC, then yes use the product key on the side of the PC. If it doesn't work doing it online you may have to give Microsoft a call for them to validate it for you.

Reaction score
Assuming it is the original install that came with the PC, then yes use the product key on the side of the PC. If it doesn't work doing it online you may have to give Microsoft a call for them to validate it for you.
Though Microsoft can validate it for you but they probably won't support you or help validate Windows XP as they don't support it anymore, they probably don't want you installing it either.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Microsoft don't want us to install Win 7 either but they'll still validate/activate it via an automated phone service.

I don't know if they'll still do XP, haven't done that one in a while but I'd gamble they still do.

Worth a try, anyway, nothing to lose after all.

Ask a Question