Windows 10 How to Activate Windows 10 to Remove Water Mark

Reaction score
I have a digital license which is associated with my Microsoft account. Due to a graphics card issue, I changed my PC and replace the hard drive. It means I am using the same hard drive but a new laptop.

It is showing "Activate Windows" watermark on the desktop. How can I remove that? I don't have a license key, as it is a digital license which requires Microsoft account instead of a license key.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the license was tied to the computer, not the hard drive.

Okay, but what to do if I have to change the laptop. The built-in Intel graphics card is working, but the AMD card is not working because of overheating. So, either I need to change the motherboard or the complete laptop.

So, in that case, how can I activate my windows 10 license on a new laptop?

Reaction score
That is unfair :D I am not planning to use the same license on both PCs... I just wanted to use it on the new one because the old one has a hardware issue. Is there any way to contact Microsoft for this issue?

Reaction score
It depends on the Windows 10 license EULA as to whether you can transfer it to another computer.
You likely can't take it to another computer.

Reaction score
Once upon a time i heard something like this:
If you put the harddisk back into the old notebook and you can still boot and get into windows, then connect your windows with your microsoft account.

After your notebook is connected with your personal Microsoft account the digital license is „saved“ in your Microsoft account.

Now you shutdown the notebook and put the harddisk in your new notebook.
The windows on the new notebook will possibly say its not activated but you can then connect the windows to your microsoft account and choose something like „trouble assistant for activating“ in your windows preferences. There you can choose „i changed my hardware“.
Then they will show you your old notebook name and ask: is this your actual computer?
If you say yes, the digital license is activated for your new notebook because it stores the fingerprint of your current device to your Microsoft account.

But be aware: if the old notebook would have had no hardware problems the notebook will activate the license again automatically after connect to internet.
This would happen if you would change nothing to the old notebook. But you allready changes something (replaced the harddisk) so i think the old notebook will not activate windows again if you would insert a new harddisk (this can happen if you plan to sell the old notebook.....)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whether its fair or not...

think of it this way...

You crash your car...

Engine and transmission is still working fine...

You get a more recent car, but don't want an engine cause you already got one. The car dealership tells you that your engine will not fit in your new car!

That is how window works! Which makes sense to me because, otherwise it would be so easy to pirate copies of windows by cloning your hard drive.

The good thing is... most computers already have a windows license attached to it. If you get a used laptop, as long as it has windows 7 or greater just use that key to activate windows. Providing you match versions. Windows 7 home will activate windows 10 home. Windows pro and above will activate windows 10 pro.

Hope this helps...

Neo...

Reaction score
Whether its fair or not...

think of it this way...

You crash your car...

Engine and transmission is still working fine...

You get a more recent car, but don't want an engine cause you already got one. The car dealership tells you that your engine will not fit in your new car!

That is how window works! Which makes sense to me because, otherwise it would be so easy to pirate copies of windows by cloning your hard drive.

The good thing is... most computers already have a windows license attached to it. If you get a used laptop, as long as it has windows 7 or greater just use that key to activate windows. Providing you match versions. Windows 7 home will activate windows 10 home. Windows pro and above will activate windows 10 pro.

Hope this helps...

Neo...

Well, if my car is crashed, I can still drive a new car with my existing LICENSE. The engine of a car and license of the windows are two entirely different things. I have paid around 150$ for the license of my Windows, and just if the graphics card of my laptop got damaged, I need to spend $100 again on the new license.

New laptops that come with the Windows installed have a price difference of about $100. If we buy the same model without Windows, it is cheaper.

Regarding pirating copies, there are so many "cracks" available to activate the Windows 10 without an original license.

Reaction score
Once upon a time i heard something like this:
If you put the harddisk back into the old notebook and you can still boot and get into windows, then connect your windows with your microsoft account.

After your notebook is connected with your personal Microsoft account the digital license is „saved“ in your Microsoft account.

Now you shutdown the notebook and put the harddisk in your new notebook.
The windows on the new notebook will possibly say its not activated but you can then connect the windows to your microsoft account and choose something like „trouble assistant for activating“ in your windows preferences. There you can choose „i changed my hardware“.
Then they will show you your old notebook name and ask: is this your actual computer?
If you say yes, the digital license is activated for your new notebook because it stores the fingerprint of your current device to your Microsoft account.

But be aware: if the old notebook would have had no hardware problems the notebook will activate the license again automatically after connect to internet.
This would happen if you would change nothing to the old notebook. But you allready changes something (replaced the harddisk) so i think the old notebook will not activate windows again if you would insert a new harddisk (this can happen if you plan to sell the old notebook.....)

I will try this.

Ask a Question