Windows XP Getting hold of Windows XP Pro 64 edition

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Hewlett Packard XW8400 workstation with an Intel Xeon Dual Core 2.66GHZ and an Nvidia Quadro Fx1500 graphics card.

My machine was supplied to me by a company with OEM software - Windows XP Pro 64 edition - however recently I had a serious problem booting up the pc.

To fix the problem I would need the install discs which reside with the company that built the pc.

I would rather have my own copy of Windows XP Pro 64 edition and start from scratch again with a new install of the OS, rather than attempt to get the system back up and running which would entail the hassle of getting hold of the install discs or attempting complex workarounds which are beyond my IT knowledge/skill level.

Consequently I am after a licensed copy (pre-owned if it will make it cheaper) of Windows XP Pro 64 bit. Does anyone know a reliable vendor for this OS (I am UK based)?

I have seen OEM versions on ebay etc - is there any technical catch to buying OEM software = e.g. if it is OEM Windows XP Pro 64 edition software originally intended to be installed on (for the sake of argument) a 64 bit Sony computer will it run fine on my 64 bit Hewlett Packard computer - I just might get a start up screen advertising Sony or something? (Before my Boot-up problem my machine would start with a welcome screen advertising Hewlett Packard)

Some vendors selling OEM seem to sell it with memory to comply with the regs (e.g. OEM software can only be sold with hardware). Will I be able to register the licence for my software if it is bought this way?

p.s. - I also have the Windows XP product code printed on the side of the computer - is there anywhere on the Microsoft website (I have looked but with no success) that I can enter/compare this code so that I can find out definitively the version of XP Pro that was previously installed on the machine?

Many thanks for any advice. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OEM versions of Windows, are - strictly speaking - for computer builders/vendors only and UK suppliers are only supposed to sell OEM copies to buyers that are buying parts to build a computer or a ready made computer.

However, most will sell you a copy on it's own anyway. The average price of Win 7 Home Premium 64/32 bit is £65.00.

To the best of my knowledge (and I haven't checked) Win XP is now a little hard to get hold of. I wouldn't purchase from E-Bay as a great deal of the Windows disks there will be pirate copies.

However, if you have a valid licence code on your computer and you can get hold of a copy of XP 64 Bit from a friend you should be ok. When you buy a copy of Windows - any version - you don't buy the disks, you buy the licence in the form of the licence code number.

If you're already aware of this, forgive me for repeating it.

So, your best bet is to find somebody with a copy of Win XP 64 Bit and borrow it. Strictly going by the book you shouldn't copy Windows CD's/DVD's but if you are the legitimate owner of a valid licence code I personally don't think making a copy is turning you into a criminal.

I never said that! :D

There may be one snag, if HP desktops require valid HP Install disks for Win XP - and this usually involves auto-registration with the BIOS recognising it's an HP machine - then you will need original HP XP 64 Bit disks. This is the case with Dell laptops, for instance, but I don't think it's the case with HP desktops.

One last thought, if you can't find a friend with XP 64 Bit but do know somebody with 32 Bit - which is much more common - then settle for 32 bit just to save a lot of hassle.

And the other alternative is pay £65.00 for Win 7 if the computer you have meets Win 7's minimum requirements.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advice floppybootstomp - much appreciated.

I'll get onto Hewlett packard and get the definitive answer on whether I need specific HP drivers for the Windows XP OS - thanks for clarifying that as a potential issue.

If I can load any copy of Win XP Pro that will make life a lot easier.

I'm pretty sure I need the 64 bit version - the pc has a lable on the front saying - designed for Win XP Pro 64 edition - and I am using professional video editing and graphics software which seems to be most happy working via Win XP pro 64 bit.

All the best, Exup. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...968&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#113100

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1180585

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ja...g=XW8400&submit1=Search+»&searchCrit=allwords

You might find some help in the above links.

user.gif

Reaction score
Cheers Abarbarian - much obliged! :)

I tried loading my home edition of XP on the HPXW8400 but it wasn't having it.

IfI can get the XP home edition up and running via the driver information you supplied I can then upgrade to XP Pro via a download from the MS site.

Cheers. :D

Ask a Question