Windows XP home Device installer Corrupt?

G

Hi there;

OK in a nutshell, every time I boot my PC, it goes through the whole rigamarole below:

1. Finds my Sony Cdrw crx160e as new hardware.

2. Displays "Device installer Error: Could not load the installer for . Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance"

3. Pops up the Found new Hardware window, and if I try to install drivers, it can't find any.

4. Shows the Found new hardware taskbar bubble again.

5. Shows the Could not install Sony cdrw crx160e , device may not function properly taskbar bubble.

Not only that but it gives me #2 every time I try to download and run windows updates, so I'm not even sure if its updating XP at all.

Other considerations / Steps.

* Sony CDRW operates fine. Reads / Writes / Plays.

* XP, for the most part, runs fine in other areas.

* All other devices work fine.

* Note "Could not load the installer for . Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance". This is an exact quote. There is no information for what it can't load the installer for. This is true for both the CDRW and windows issues.

Not only is this an annoyance, but it is of concern as I'm not sure that Windows is getting all its updates.

My thoughts are, is there a way to have my version of XP compare itself to the Windows CD and correct any differences it finds?

Any tips on running repair?

It's been like this since I built the machine a couple months ago. I, of course, have ignored it. Clean wipe is a non-option.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.
Skot

Ask a Question