Windows XP failing

I had a problem where windows update reported that the "Update for Outlook
2003 Junk email filter KB905648" had failed to install. It then kept
downloading it and trying to install it. Below you will see the
recommendations Microsoft made to fix this, I only managed to get to the
first one!

Having enabled ose as outlined below, it appeared that it had installed OK
as no more error messages appeared. However, my PC became very slow and then
hung. A reboot failed and the following has occurred since:

Standard reboot - Windows XP splash appears, progress bar active but no
further progress - hard disk access intermittent, sometimes prolonged, but
does not boot up.

Tried to reboot in last known good configuration - boot stalled at
initialisation of driver C:\windows\system32\drivers\btkrnl.sys
Tried to boot into safe mode - same thing
Tried to boot into safe mode with dos and safe mode with networking - same

Eventually managed to boot into safe mode by waiting for half an hour and it
eventually gets booted. Hard disk access seems hellishly slow; any action
takes ages to occur. Managed to get to system restore and restored to a point
last week when this update was originally downloaded and failed to install. I
had about 5 entries for "Software Distribution Service 2.0" on every day
since that date, even though it had always said it had failed to install.

This made no apparent difference - still slow as hell.

Rebooted from a memtest cd and ran overnight - 10 passes revealed no memory
errors. You probably have my machine spec from the original request.

Used msconfig to start in diagnostic mode with only basic drivers and
services - no better

Rebooted in normal mode, again this took ages. Left a virus scan going, but
when I returned the machine had rebooted itself at an unknown point and was
at the login screen.

I have now started a chkdsk. It took about an hour to run file verification,
index verification and security descriptors; it has taken 2 hours to get to
15% of checking the file data. Please note from spec below that this is NOT
on a slow machine!

I am NOT impressed with the fact that the Microsoft "help" has given me such
problems with a PC that was OK before and I would really be thankful for some
help in sorting this!

Steve

Just to confirm spec:

Athlon 64 4400 dual core processor at 2.2GHz
2GB PC3200 ram
2 SATA 200GB Seagate hard drives in RAID1 (mirrored) array
Powercolour X800XL (ATI)
Logitech Bluetooth, media pad, keyboard and mouse

Running Windows XPPro SP2