Windows Vista Windows Vista back up tool problems

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having a slight problem with Vista Home Premium. I want to make a back of my files in Vista, when I go to use the tool it says where would I like to save the files to its says that you can save them to a CD or Hard Drive but none of my Hard Drives are listed in the drop down menu. However they are both running fine and both show up in Computer Management but not in the Back up tool. Has anyone else had any problems with this in Vista?

I have also tried googling this problem but I was unable to find a solution to this.

Would be grateful for any advice on this,

Many Thanks,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Just tried mine, it works fine, it picks up my second HDD.

I read through the FAQ and all it says is that you can't back it up to the same HDD, you can't back it up to another HDD that is used as a boot drive, or that you can't back it up it if it isn't formatted to NTFS or FAT32.

Any of these your problem? Do you have dual booting HDD?

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Just tried mine, it works fine, it picks up my second HDD.

I read through the FAQ and all it says is that you can't back it up to the same HDD, you can't back it up to another HDD that is used as a boot drive, or that you can't back it up it if it isn't formatted to NTFS or FAT32.

Any of these your problem? Do you have dual booting HDD?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have dual botting at the moment, The second hard drive has a bootsect.bak file does this mean that vista is trying to use it as a boot device? Also the second hard drive has software on it but this should not be able as I can create a file and back up to that folder?

Any help welcome,

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Going to format the other hard drive again see if that works, has anyone else had any problems like this?

Regards,

Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Works ok at my end too, so I'm not sure why you're getting this.

You can always use the command line tool if the GUI version fails (or use seagate DiscWizard). :)

Reaction score
Hi I tried fomratting the other Hard Drive and now Windows wont start for some reason I have tried using Start up repair tool on Vista cd and using command prompt to fix MBR but the OS is not listed in the Repair operating systems When I loog through the results of the start up repair tool it says that there is no vaild partion table? Does this mean that windows has be come courrupt and needs reinstalling or is there any other way to fix this problem??

Many Thanks,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of that might help is the motherboard.

In my second PC i have a Gigabyte P31 and if you unplutg the HDD that you boot from in can't find the BOOT MANAGER when you plug it back in.

So unplug both hard drives plug the HDD you Boot from in SATA 1 and the other in SATA 2. Restart the PC then press F12 to go into the boot menu. Put the HDD you boot from as 1 and the other HDD as 2.

This works for me so hopefully it will work for you.

If it boots go into control Panel - Administrative Tools - Disk Management - Right Click on the second HDD and reformat as NTFS with 4GB partitions.

Then see if you can find it to restore too.

Hope this works, i just reformatted an IDE that had XP Pro on it, before it wouldn't find it as it was a bootable HDD and it finds it now.

Others may have different options but this works for me.

Sorry if this seems like an idiots guide as i know you're not.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
The only thing i can think of that might help is the motherboard.

In my second PC i have a Gigabyte P31 and if you unplutg the HDD that you boot from in can't find the BOOT MANAGER when you plug it back in.

So unplug both hard drives plug the HDD you Boot from in SATA 1 and the other in SATA 2. Restart the PC then press F12 to go into the boot menu. Put the HDD you boot from as 1 and the other HDD as 2.

This works for me so hopefully it will work for you.

If it boots go into control Panel - Administrative Tools - Disk Management - Right Click on the second HDD and reformat as NTFS with 4GB partitions.

Then see if you can find it to restore too.

Hope this works, i just reformatted an IDE that had XP Pro on it, before it wouldn't find it as it was a bootable HDD and it finds it now.

Others may have different options but this works for me.

Sorry if this seems like an idiots guide as i know you're not.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have changed the SATA ports around on the motherboard so the main Hard Drive is in SATA 1 and the other Hard Drive is in SATA 11, also changed it in the BIOS to boot from the main device but it still says Boot Disk Fauilure?

Any Advice welcome.

Thanks,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Dunno then mate, thought that might've helped as we both have newish gigabyte boards, but obviously not.

I think you can rule out the HDD as a problem, so its gotta be Vista.

Is a bit of a shame if you have to do a fresh install of vista.

Will keep looking for a solution.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hi,

Dunno then mate, thought that might've helped as we both have newish gigabyte boards, but obviously not.

I think you can rule out the HDD as a problem, so its gotta be Vista.

Is a bit of a shame if you have to do a fresh install of vista.

Will keep looking for a solution.

Hey,

Yeah its a same, is there no other way to boot into Vista now then? Without doing a clean install again?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
All Fixed Now :)

Hi,

All back up and running now adn the orginal problem is fixed as well. Thanks for your help. Could you just check the partiton status of both drives and make sure they look ok see attached picture.

Many Thanks,

Wiz

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 114

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Still looking mate, maybe one of the Mods will be able to help or maybe Madxgraphics or Jaling as they seem to know quite a lot.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
I can't read it but i'm sure if its working its all good.

Much the same I can't read it to well, but from what I can all looks fine...Oh by the way don't let a string of qualifications fool you..I am still learning everyday and rely on the good old interweb thingy for a lot of help...

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Much the same I can't read it to well, but from what I can all looks fine...Oh by the way don't let a string of qualifications fool you..I am still learning everyday and rely on the good old interweb thingy for a lot of help...

Hi Madxgraphics, Waynos_Face.

Thanks for your reply.

If you click on the picture it zooms in a bit more this is a bit more clear to read. All seems fine again now. :)

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Useability is limited in various versions. Mine works fine on Ultimate so I'll load up a fresh comp with home premium and try to produce your issue.

Ask a Question