Windows Vista Dual Booting Vista and XP Problem

Reaction score
Big Problem

Hello all,

I have run into a very big problem. I have Windows Vista Home Premuim 64bit, and some of my games don't work in it so I tried to download a free parttion program so that I can put XP on one parttion and have Vista on the other however I was unable to find a free program to do this. So I have another Hard drive in my pc, I formatted this one and installed Windows XP on to it. But I am unable to get the computer to boot up from the vista drive anymore I have checked BIOS setttings and removed the XP hard drive and when the computer trys to boot from the Vista drive I gat Disk boot faulure. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get back into Vista with out the need to format everything and start all over again? I have even removed the XP drive and the computer still wont boot from the Vista drive.

I would be most grateful for any support that you can offer me to sort this problem out.

Many Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

However I am now in the process of formatting the vista drive it was poper missed up. I could not even do a quick format on it. or in any other programs so I am now doing a full format on it. But its taking for ever cos its a 400gb hard drive. :wall: Once this is done I will reinstall Vista on it. Vista had become unstable anyway so I thought that it would also be a good idea to start again. Once vista is installed I am going to split the drive to have it dual boot with cp and vista on it, so I can play Tomb Raider Legend in XP becuas it won't work in vista.

Was wondering if anyone else here has had any-problems with Vista and Tomb Raider not working on it?

Any advice most welcome, thank you.

Wiz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You don't need a partition program as DISKPART on the Vista CD can do it for you
nod.gif

As Ian says you need to modify the Vista Bootloader after adding another OS - its a shame you have now removed XP as this boot problem could have been rectified easily, it may be now that you have removed XP again that you have gone beyond a simple repair :(

I have Vista 64Bit and XP dual booting fine on the same drive - I used a free utility called EasyBCD to modify the Vista bootloader once completed.

Two good illustrated tutorials are available to do a dual boot XP with Vista either way:

Dual boot Vista and XP - (XP installed first)

Dual Boot Vista and XP - (Vista installed first)

user.gif

Edit: I have moved this thread to the Vista section and changed the title as I think this will be useful for others looking at doing this.

Reaction score
Hi Ady,

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to to do a Vista install and then create a partition through diskpart on the same drive as Vista. Then install XP using the links that you have provided me. I never knew that Vista had a program in it allready to partition the hdd :blush:

Does anyone else play Tomb Raider Legend here in Vista 64bit?

I would just like to say a big thank you, to everyone for all your support that you have put into this theard.

Many thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Hello,

Just a quick feedback to the problem that I was having I have now carried out all these steps and I now have my dual boot up and running with xp and vista on the same drive.

I would like to say again a big thank you for all your help.

Thanks,

Wiz

Ask a Question