Windows XP Windows Start-up

Reaction score
I'm having to sort out a friends new laptop on the weekend that takes 5 minutes to boot up and i'm after some pointers towards the steps to take to check things out. Seems once they installed the Olympus camera software all slowed down, this now removed, but still slow to boot up. Could Norton be an issue?

Going to run anti-virus check, ad-aware, spybot & scan disk to check things.
Then if that does not work then run system restore to a point before all the problem started.
Anything i have missed that i should add to check things?

If all that fails then they may need to take it back to Comet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Be careful Feckit, you know the owner of that Laptop is dangerous:rolleyes:
One mistake & you will hear about it for the next few years:lol:

Reaction score
You should install Windows Defender from microsoft, a wonderful spyware blocker/remover, then use the system explorer in the tools tab to remove unnecessary startup items like the camera software, windows mesenger, java, Quicktime,etc. DO NOT REMOVE windows components or your virus software from startup!! you will still be able to use your camera when you access the program from the start menu. Also, u should really stop using norton, it is slow, expensive, and taxing your system. uninstall it and use AVGfree from free.grisoft.com, they give you free updates forever, and are reliable. also AVG antispyware, AdawareSE, spybot S&D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bang in the ram ... 128 is not enough.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Problem sorted.:thumb:
Riddled with viruses & other bugs, all cleaned up & then system restore.
All now OK, but made sure anti-virus & firewall was updated & working!

Reaction score
Best to start a new thread on this SmittyGoose7 as more people will look at it.

However what are you running that is slowing up the pc?

Reaction score
Best to remove everything from startup except windows programs (it's safe to get rid of windows messenger however) and keep your virus scanning software on startup or anti spyware program. Also, If you have any modem drivers for your winmodem keep those, sometimes you can't initialize your modem without the startup app, especially if it is a usrobotics winmodem. Video card apps like ati catalyst and nvidia's software are safe to remove, remove adobe and adobe collab as wel as the java applet. Go ahead and remove anything else including printer and scanner, they will still be usable without their startup programs.

Ask a Question