Windows XP Windows media player &(WMP) External hard drives

Reaction score
Windows media player(WMP) &External hard drives

I use my external hard drive and WMP to play/rip/burn music and I have an extensive collection.

However, on saturday my external hard drive which has always been recognised as the E: drive, decided to become the F: drive!? This has meant that WMP does not play my music because it is looking for files on a now non-existent E: drive. I know that I could delete the library on WMP and then re-install the music to the F: drive, but I have a customized field at the moment and if I do this I think that I may lose all of this information? Also, what is to stop my F: drive deciding to call itself G: at some stage!?

As I see it I can either find a way to change all of the E: filenames in WMP to F: so that the computer will then play the files, or I can somehow reassign my external drive to E:. I am unsure of the best/easiest option and would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm going to assume your using Windows XP.

Try going to Settings>Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. Right click on the external drive and select 'change drive letters and path' and see if it will let you re-assign it to 'E'.

Ask a Question