Windows XP windows media player 11

Reaction score
In the last few months whenever i clicked onto the burn tab of wmp11 a message appeared in the right hand pane,where tracks to be burnt go, "install burner and restart player".Thinking that i had inadvertanly alterd a setting in wmp11 i decided to roll back to wmp10,having loaded the tracks into the burn pane i clicked on the burn tab along the top was "no cd or dvd burner has been detected,press f5 to refresh player"and to cap it all clicking on rip gets the message"insert audio cd" when there is already one in the drive.I have two drives in my pc- lite-on dvd-rw sohw-1693s and hl-dt-st cd-rw gce-8481b,both of these play music on wmp10 and 11 they also play and record on other burners installed on the pc(nero,which came with the dvd-rw,& complete cd maker).Any ideas why wmp is not seeing my two drives for burning or riping as they appear everywhere else on the pc.If there is a cure please keep it simple as i'm a "silver surfer".Thanks.

my system

windows xpsp2--avg 7.5--ad-aware--spybot.
broadband adsl
motherboard----intel d845ept2
memory---640mbs
cpu---intel pentium 4
video---nvidia GeFORCE2mx

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, only I didnt even download anything into media player and dont use it to burn DVD, CDs; and it still is corrupted due to rolling back to MP10, form MP11 and/or having both going at the same time. Now MP is causing an expensive DVD burner and burning program (Nero) to not even work; and MP will not totally uninstall and let you use your own programs! I put this question out as a new thread on this forum, but dont see it anywhere, hope i didnt mess up, I am totally new here.Good luck, I may be able to use what help you get.

Windows xpsp2--Norton symantec
broadband highspeed DSL
motherboard----ASUS A7N266-VM
memory---1Gb
cpu---Athlon-XP
video---nvidia GeFORCE2 GPU
DVD=Lite-on; Nero 7, and Power DVD, and U name it; nothing works.

Last edited:
Reaction score
appell10 said:
I have a similar problem, only I didnt even download anything into media player and dont use it to burn DVD, CDs; and it still is corrupted due to rolling back to MP10, form MP11 and/or having both going at the same time. Now MP is causing an expensive DVD burner and burning program (Nero) to not even work; and MP will not totally uninstall and let you use your own programs! I put this question out as a new thread on this forum, but dont see it anywhere, hope i didnt mess up, I am totally new here.Good luck, I may be able to use what help you get.

Windows xpsp2--Norton symantec
broadband highspeed DSL
motherboard----ASUS A7N266-VM
memory---1Gb
cpu---Athlon-XP
video---nvidia GeFORCE2 GPU
DVD=Lite-on; Nero 7, and Power DVD, and U name it; nothing works.

Try startting your computer in safe mode and then delete WMP....Or try installing WMP 11 again and see what happens from there...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I only ever use Windows Media Player when a web page forces me to.

I use the following free programs which all work well together. They are easy to install and excellent in use.

Ashampoo 6 for burning.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE_program_41028.html

Zoom Player,

http://www.inmatrix.com/products.shtml

Combined Community Codec Pack for the codecs. This comes with Media Player and Zoom Player and a Toolbar, so when you install choose if you want to install these or not.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Once you have tweaked the Zoom Player to suit and tried it you will never go back to WMP 11 or any other WMP.

These should work for you even if WMP is playing up.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I only ever use Windows Media Player when a web page forces me to.

I use the following free programs which all work well together. They are easy to install and excellent in use.

Ashampoo 6 for burning.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE_program_41028.html

Zoom Player,

http://www.inmatrix.com/products.shtml

Combined Community Codec Pack for the codecs. This comes with Media Player and Zoom Player and a Toolbar, so when you install choose if you want to install these or not.

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Once you have tweaked the Zoom Player to suit and tried it you will never go back to WMP 11 or any other WMP.

These should work for you even if WMP is playing up.

happywave.gif
]

I have actually downloaded a whole slew of online free-ware similar to the ones you mention, now my CDrom is spinning around and warp-speed suddenly and still wont burn anything and intermittently plays a movie. But I also received a suggestion by Ian Cunningham on another thread or somewhere, that having too many codecs installed could be my problem! So now what?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Delete all the codecs under add/remove then just install CCCP. Have you checked and installed the latest firmware for your drive ?

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Well OK for the next time I do this; that's good advice-but in the process of trying some registry fix program, I totally screwed up my drive and windows. So I just decided it was time to upgrad and got a new motherborard and SATA hard drive. Its a fas powerful unit now, but I still cant get over how MP11 caused so much damage. Removing all the codecs and installing CCCP would have been my next move if I'd seen this in time. But I got impatient and just messed the registry up. I am not sure what CCCP is at any rate, and I hear the term firmware as referring to practically every type of software having to do with windows these days, so I am not sure exactly which firmware you mean in that regard either--but thanks for your help and information; I appreciate do it /mw

Ask a Question