Windows XP Windows me upgrade to Windows xp errors

Reaction score
As microsoft are withdrawing support for Windows ME from July 11 2006 I decided to upgrade my PC which uses Windows ME to Windows XP Home.
Unfortunately I have so far been unsuccessful as the following occurs after inserting XP Home disk:-
Disk commences running and ''run windows setup'' commences.
Collecting information.....O.K.
Dynamic Update.............O.K.
Preparing Installation....copying installation files...o.k. (Onscreen notification: ''setup has 59 minutes to completion of installation'')
Windows XP logo appears screen..O.K.
PC then receives Blue Screen and the following long error message superimposed:-
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF9E7D524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Carried out checks as instructed and rebooted PC. Cancelling Windows XP setup and clicking Back to Windows ME fortunately allowed me to revert to Windows ME.
However, If I attempt to start Windows XP then the following error message comes onscreen:-

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of this file.

Searched Microsoft for a solution to my problems all as detailed in
Article ID :320252
Last Review : June 2, 2005
Revision : 2.2

RESOLUTION

The following advice is given under

1. e. Use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to remove Windows XP from your computer.

I tried to comply with this instruction but Windows XP does not appear in Add/Remove which confirmed that installing files did not take place during the setup.

At the end of the article is:

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

I have searched other areas to seek a solution and there is an article which gives the following advice:

Is a corrupted hal.dll actually a Boot.ini file issue??

Yes - what happens is that the line in boot.ini that points to where the windows folder is wrong, missing, or being misinterpreted. So it's looking in the wrong place for windows files, and hal.dll just happens to be the first one it looks for.

How does one configure the Boot.ini correctly?

Set the BIOS to boot CD before Hard Disk. Boot the XP CD and, instead of Setup, take the immediate R for Repair. Assume any password requested is blank, and TAB over. Use the command BootCfg/Rebuild. You may find that there are old invalid references left after that which still do not boot - boot to one that works, run MSconfig.exe and on the Boot.inipage click 'Check all paths' to identify and remove the dud ones.

My problem is that I never get Windows XP activated and therefore I am unable to utilise Windows XP suggestions to remedy my problem. This is probably one of the longest post you have ever received but hopefully it will assist not only me but others who must be having exactly the same very common problem as indicated by the many web sites trying to deal with this issue. I think I've visited most of them with no success!!

Best Regards Dendo

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Unless you have important data, which you should have made a back-up off, always perform a "clean install" of the OS

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition

•PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

•1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

•Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

•CD-ROM or DVD drive

•Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Sorry, but that is a load of bollocks ... you need to treble those figures and some, you especially need 512Mb ram minimum to get any sort of performance.

What PC do you have ... details please. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Dendo Computer Specification

Tried to send Spec. but file to large to send by attachment so here it is manually:-
AMD ATHLON 1.333GHZ CPU 266 FSB AMD 761 UPGRADE
EPOX 8K7A+DDR RAID MOTHERBOARD
256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
20GB UDMA HARD DRIVE (RAID 0)
20GB UDMA HARD DRIVE (RAID 0)
32MB VIDEOLOGIC VIVID XS
12XDVD DRIVE INTERNAL
12X8X32 CD REWRITER NON BURN PROOF
AC97 SOUND
MS WINDOWS ME MILLENIUM EDITION OEM

256 MB RAM O.K. in accordance with microsoft requirements to run xp but your comment after ''but that is a load of bollocks'' indicates 512 MB RAM is preferred.

Your views would be much appreciated.

Best Regards Dendo

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, 512 would be a minimum and I would strongly suggest 1024 (1gig ram) ... ;)

However, after seeing the specifications of your PC I would now say, save your pennies and buy a new system.

I would also add, do not use 'RAID' on a home system unless you know how to use it. XP can run a RAID array, but cannot 'upgrade' to it. :)

user.gif

* it would make a great Linux box *

Reaction score
Microsoft recommendations for min spec & suggested spec are as a guide only . Running XP you should normally have 512MB, however in newer machines you should get at least 1GB (2x 512MB) of RAM or even 2GB in some pc's.

Listen to what Muckshifter suggests, remember he is only telling you what would help your pc run with MS-XP :thumb:

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. Believe it or not they are exactly the guidance my son gave me before I (stupidly?...yes!!) purchased the upgrade to XP Home. In fact I was considering my options earlier this morning and came to the final conclusion that I would try and re sell the XP software on eBay or wherever ??. keep running ME with Zone ASS and Trojan Hunter security in place for possibly one more year after July 11th (what period of time would you suggest is safe? one day after July 11th, one month, one year?) and then buy a new PC with XP or who knows VISTA pre installed or should I consider LINUX?

You're never to old to learn, thank you for helping, you've made an old man feel very happy!!

Look forward to your comments.

Best Regards Dendo

muckshifter

Reaction score
You have a wise Son ... funny, we are usually advising them what to do. :D

You can use an 'upgrade' XP CD to 'clean install' just pop in your ME disk when asked.

You could spend some money and get more ram, check on Crucial's website by using their memory advisor tool ... the 1.3 CPU is fine for 'entry' into the world of XP ...there is nothing wrong with the system "as-is" running ME though. ;)

Everyone, software vendors including ZA, are abandoning support for Win9x & ME ... sad really, but it costs them money to keep them up-to-date.

Linux ... well, that is another ball game but ALL software is Free and is always being updated ... when/if you get a new system, keep this old one and 'experiment' with Linux, or hand it down to a relative.

oh, and PCReview is full of 'old men' ... :D

Reaction score
Started posting a reply, pressed the wrong button so goodness knows where it's gone. That lets you know something about my computing limitations.

Aye, my boy (man) is quite smart so he obviously took after his mother.

S*** scared to do a clean install in case it messes up ME.

Agree with everyone that the best option is to buy new PC as this one is five years old and that is ancient in computing terms.

XP or VISTA will be pre installed on the new PC. Your comment on LINUX is interesting but I would be grateful to receive your advice/comments on the possibilities and problems of networking my new PC with the old one.

If the Forum and particularly your patience is running out just let me know and I will leave you in peace!!

Best Regards Dendo
Do unto others as they would do unto you.....but do it first!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, networking ... plug it all together, turn it all on, and ... you may get lucky. :D
I think we can leave that for another thread when you get there.

scared to do a clean install in case it messes up ME.
It won't 'mess-up' there won't be any ME left ... that is the meaning of 'clean-install' ... to wipe out all traces of the original OS. It goes without saying that you should back-up any needed data off the PC first. All programs will need re-installing

XP should have no problems (crossing fingers) with your PC if you can give it more room to breath with more memory ... how much did the XP upgrade CD cost?

As for patience, I have oodles of it ... just ask anybody here.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Windows XP Home Edition CD cost me £81.

Meant to say that in my last reply.

Regards Dendo

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
As for patience, I have oodles of it ... just ask anybody here.
laughingsmiley.gif

As long as no one mentions compaq or that all microsoft packages are safe, stable and easy to to use & that mucks loves products from them, we are all safe:p

Reaction score
Attempted ''New Installation'' which I assume is the same as ''clean installation'' and it is the only arrow down alternative to ''upgrade'' on the XP Home CD.

New Installation ran O.K. until ''Preparing Installation'' was finished and gave me the blue screen with the STOP: 0x0000007B error message received on previous attempts.

I've got ME back and running so I intend to try to sell the XP Home CD, cut my losses, be wise after the event, save some spandoolags to buy a new PC and call in my wise son to advise me!!.

During my failed attempts to get XP Home up and running I had to input the Product Key on several occasions. Does this invalidate the CD if someone who might buy it tries to use it to upgrade to XP Home? I would think that due to my lack of success the Product Key has not been invalidated but I would be grateful if you could confirm my view on this.

I think I have now exhausted all avenues I was capable of exploring, it's been time consuming but nevertheless interesting and in the process I've tried your patience to the limit so I will now quietly leave the forum but not before expressing my thanks for all the help received.

Best Regards
Dendo You win some and you lose some.....that's life!.

Reaction score
Any comment on para. 4 of my last reply regarding invalidating the Windows CD?

Dendo

muckshifter

Reaction score
During my failed attempts to get XP Home up and running I had to input the Product Key on several occasions. Does this invalidate the CD if someone who might buy it tries to use it to upgrade to XP Home? I would think that due to my lack of success the Product Key has not been invalidated but I would be grateful if you could confirm my view on this.
Sorry, missed that ... but you'll be pleased to know that you have not 'invalidated' anything. :thumb:

I also neglected to say that the price you paid was a little on the dear side ... it will be handy to keep though, even if you get a new PC as you will very rarely get a 'real' copy of XP with a new PC these days.

:)

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply giving me comforting news re invalidation of my xp upgrade CD. I was unaware that new PC'S xp software is not always new.

Also on the plus side is the fact that my son (the clever one?) is contemplating buying a laptop with wireless connection which is more convenient for his requirements and has given me an as yet unconfirmed proposal to let me have his old PC which has xp already installed :D , however it may be that Microsoft may not allow me to use his xp software :confused:. Your comments would be appreciated.

Best Regards Dendo
happywave.gif

P.S. If nothing else I've found out how to use the smileys on your site.

''Simple things amuse simple minds''!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Dendo said:
Many thanks for your reply giving me comforting news re invalidation of my xp upgrade CD. I was unaware that new PC'S xp software is not always new.

Also on the plus side is the fact that my son (the clever one?) is contemplating buying a laptop with wireless connection which is more convenient for his requirements and has given me an as yet unconfirmed proposal to let me have his old PC which has xp already installed :D , however it may be that Microsoft may not allow me to use his xp software :confused:. Your comments would be appreciated.

Best Regards Dendo
happywave.gif

P.S. If nothing else I've found out how to use the smileys on your site.

''Simple things amuse simple minds''!
I'd be lost without the smillies ... ;)

One PC, one Windows ... so, as long as your Son gives you the original disks and gets a new copy of the OS with his new system, then no bother. :thumb:

Let me just clarify one point ... the OS software will be 'New' if indeed they even give you a CD ... the trait these days is not to supply any CD but "encourage" you to make your own "back-ups" from the HD. Dell springs to mind here.

These so called "recovery" CDs can be a pain in the butt as it is not a full-blown-shop-bought "original" as one would get from MS ... when we ask people to "pop in their XP CD" and run a "fix", they are buggered, drives me nuts ... the price you pay for not building your own. :p

user.gif

Ask a Question