Windows Mail wouldn't send, now it won't receive

tumorfarmer

Windows Mail suddenly stopped sending email, as I have tried to fix the
problem, now it won't receive mail either. I thought it was my AVG, so I
uninstalled AVG, and tried again. No go. It didn't matter if I have my AVG
installed or not, Windows mail won't work. I have also had problems with when
I have the AVG installed, I cannot turn off the email scanning for incoming
or outgoing mail. Even if I uncheck everything, trying to disable the email
scanning, it still keeps saying it is on. It doesn't matter if I turn it off
through the tools/Advanced Settings/Email, or through Email Scanner, and
uncheck both Scan incoming messages & Scan outgoing images, it still says
"Email Scanner is active". Here is the error messages-

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test email', Account:
'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net',
Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Oh, I also tried port 110 which was the initial setting for the second one,
so the message used to say Port:110 .

Please help!

Becky in NC

Gary VanderMolen

You probably should be using the newer AT&T/Yahoo servers instead of
mail.bellsouth.net. Change your settings to agree with this:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738

Your AVG antivirus was probably installed with its default install option,
which installs an email scanning module. Just disabling its email scanning
is not a sufficient remedy. Uninstall AVG, then reinstall, but select 'custom'
install, which then allows you to unselect installing its troublesome email
scanning module.
An even better solution (instead of reinstalling AVG) is to switch to the
free Microsoft antivirus:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)