Windows XP Windows Installer pops up over HTML files, and slow responses

Reaction score
Thanks in advance:

I have WinXP pro with service pack 2 installed, and every time I mouse over certain files in Explorer (*.html/htm)-- and when starting up IE-- Windows installer pops up momentarily (at least twice, perhaps more). There may be another message box, because I can see a differently sized box pops up as well, but it is present so briefly that I cannot identify it. (Given the relationship of HTML and IE, I assume the cause of the problem has something to do with registry entries concerned with the web or HTML files, etc.)

Windows installer does not pop up-- as far as I can tell-- in other circumstances, such as when starting Office programs.

I have looked around the MS KB, seached via Google, etc., and I have tried everything that seemed reasonable, such as downloading, installing and using the Windows Installer clean up util (v2), and disabling Windows Installer in the group policy editor. Nothing has helped.

Whether it is related or not, I do not know, but Windows is also extraordinarly slow when working with of files. For example, when opening a directory in Explorer that has a good many files, it takes a long time-- 30-60 secs, seemingly depending on the number of files-- for the window to open or the files to display. Likewise, the context menu comes up painfully slowly on right click.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Thanks...

Suscinct, to be sure.

Norton 2006 says I'm clean. Is there some other program I should use?

I tend to doubt spyware is responsible, because the behavior is restricted to HTML files and starting up IE. Spyware would not generally be so discreet.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mirgy said:
Suscinct, to be sure.

Norton 2006 says I'm clean. Is there some other program I should use?

I tend to doubt spyware is responsible, because the behavior is restricted to HTML files and starting up IE. Spyware would not generally be so discreet.
Sorry I don't trust Norton to be my 'spyware' scanner ... just humour me and run at least 2 anti-spyware programs, just to be sure. :)

When "strange" things happen with Windows I used to run everything I could before suspecting Windows itself ... I don't use Windows anymore. :)

Ask a Question