Windows Installer and Newsgroups

I am unable to install Windows Updates. http://chopperbobby.com/updates.bmp .
I am also having trouble accessing these Widow Newsgroups. Sometimes I can
go right in the Newsgroups, but other times when I click Newsgroups, nothing
happens. So, I may or may not get to read any responses to this thread.
I have been having trouble with Windows Installer when trying to remove a
file/program from "Add/Remove Programs", which I think is part of my problem.
I have run AVG and AdAware, and HijackThis, and removed all of the 'Bad
Files' from my computer.
I have Windows XP Home.
Bob

I forgot to mention this. I have my computer set up for automatic Updates,
but I have discovered that that has not been happening.
And, as I said I can not install the Updates manually.
Bob

db

i suggest to focus
on ie7 only especially
if the other updates
involve it.

you should open your mozilla
browser and mosey over to
microsoft and download ie7.

or maybe here:
http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie7/run.html

- db
I am unable to install Windows Updates. http://chopperbobby.com/updates.bmp .
I am also having trouble accessing these Widow Newsgroups. Sometimes I can
go right in the Newsgroups, but other times when I click Newsgroups, nothing
happens. So, I may or may not get to read any responses to this thread.
I have been having trouble with Windows Installer when trying to remove a
file/program from "Add/Remove Programs", which I think is part of my problem.
I have run AVG and AdAware, and HijackThis, and removed all of the 'Bad
Files' from my computer.
I have Windows XP Home.
Bob

Newbie Coder

Bob,

Does 'Chopper Bobby' mean 'Helicopter Policeman'?

How do you know you have removed all the 'nasties' from your computer?

How do you access the newsgroups, Outlook Express or web?

Why do you think its a Windows Installer problem with the Add/Remove
programs applet? What is the error message you get? Is the service running
for Windows Installer? Service should be set to manual. How many msiexec
processes are running in Task Manager (CTRL ALT DEL). Is the error due to it
cannot find the log for the files that were installed?

Here is the error codes for Windows Installer:

There is a tool for Windows Installer that cleans the installed entries, but
be careful because anything deleted with it will need the application
re-installing.

Page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Direct Download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

What version of the Windows Installer are you using? Latest version is 3.1
v2 & can be downloaded here:

With Validation:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&displaylang=en

Bypass Validation:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...af996f46/WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

Are waiting for your reply,

Rock

chopperbobby said:
I forgot to mention this. I have my computer set up for automatic Updates,
but I have discovered that that has not been happening.
And, as I said I can not install the Updates manually.
Bob

For the Windows Updates problem I suggest you look through and if needed
post to the Windows Update newsgroup. In your post include some specifics.
What do you mean that you cannot install updates manually. Give some
details on what you try and what exactly happens or doesn't including the
verbatim text of error messages. Here is a link to the Windows Update
Newsgroup.

In a newsreader:

On the Web
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...655-a5d5-4c07-bdb0-90caf9f30c42&lang=en&cr=us

Newbie Coder

Bob,

When you say the updates cannot be done manually. Have you downloaded the
redistributable(s)?

Rock

chopperbobby said:
I am unable to install Windows Updates.
http://chopperbobby.com/updates.bmp .
I am also having trouble accessing these Widow Newsgroups. Sometimes I can
go right in the Newsgroups, but other times when I click Newsgroups,
nothing
happens. So, I may or may not get to read any responses to this thread.
I have been having trouble with Windows Installer when trying to remove a
file/program from "Add/Remove Programs", which I think is part of my
problem.
I have run AVG and AdAware, and HijackThis, and removed all of the 'Bad
Files' from my computer.
I have Windows XP Home.
Bob

For accessing what are actually Usenet newsgroups dump the awful web
interface and use a newsreader. XP come with Outlook Express which can be
configured for newsgroup access. Here is a link with info explaining how to
set it up.

For the Windows Installer problem is this a new problem? If so what changed
between the time things worked and now? What exactly is the problem? What
error messages are there, verbatim? What steps do you take and what does or
doesn't happen? As it's said, the devil is in the details.

Making Good Newsgroup Posts

Click on "W" and scroll to "Windows Installer Issues

MS knowledge base search on Windows Installer
http://support.microsoft.com/search...&ast=3&ast=4&ast=7&ast=10&ast=12&mode=a&adv=1

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175/en-us

Is this related to the some malware since you stated you have "removed all
of the Bad Files"? How do you know the infections are removed? Here are
some links with info on removing malware.

Malware Removal

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

I have not downloaded the redistributable(s) because I don't know what they
are.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

Hope this doesn't double post.
I have not downloaded the redistributables because I din't know what they
are.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

What I mean is that my automatic Update does not update automatically like
it is set up to do.
So, I have tried to update manually: Start> Help and Support> Windows
Update> Express> Install Updates. This is when I get the message
http://chopperbobby.com/updates.bmp .
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

I have tried to install each Update one at a time, but I get the same error
message.
I do not have Mozilla as my browser.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

No. My naphew started calling ne that when I got a chopper style motorcycle,
and the name stuck.
I don't know if I have removed all of the 'nasties' from y computer. I
removed the ones detected by HighJack this and Adaware. I suspect there are
more that weren't detected though.
When I tried to remove a program (Weather Mate) using Add/Remove Programs I
received a message saying that Windows Installer could not be accessed.
http://chopperbobby.com/windowsinstaller.bmp .
After I set Windows Installer to Automatic using services.msc I was able to
remove the program.
I can see no msiexec running in Task manager.
I will try your links.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

db

a Microsoft tech gave
me the following a while
back.

try running these one at
a time via the run command line

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

you can likely copy
and paste them

then see if the updates
can proceed.

- db

I have tried to install each Update one at a time, but I get the same error
message.
I do not have Mozilla as my browser.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

I use OE, and I'll look into Usenet.
As far as Windows Installer goes, I don't know where I stand now. I can
access Newsgroups, and I can remove
programs from Add/Remove
Programs, but I still can't Manually install Windows Updates. I can doownload
the updates, but can't install them. And automatic Updates does not work, so
I'm way behind in my updates.
I ran AdAware and HighJack This, and I removed the 'bad files', but I don't
know how many 'bad files' these
programs did not find. I think at least part of my trouble is malware, but
finding it and removing it is
the problem. I'll follow your suggestions regarding this.

Newbie Coder

Bobby,

Thankful you aren't a copper :)

AdAware isn't the best tool to use to remove adware/malware/spyware... Plus,
a recent Microsoft TechNet webcast mentions that HiJackThis misses a few
locations where adware... hides.

This is the Microsoft document on HowTo setup Newsgroups via Outlook
Express:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/newsgroups/howto.mspx

The weather program you tried to install couldn't access the Windows
Installer (C\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /v) service. Was the service set
to manual?

With the Windows Update... installed you could try to update the object in
the Download Program files folder in Windows directory by right-click |
Update or delete it & download again via Windows Update. I don't think will
work unless the genuine tool is now working. Plus check for:

Automatic Updates (C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k wugroup)

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k
BITSgroup)

are set to automatic & are started.

Lastly. For the past 2 months many users have experienced problems with
Windows Update or Automatic Updates. They do work but may take 20 mins to
start installing

Newbie Coder

The weather program you tried to install couldn't access the Windows
Installer (C\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /v) service. Was the service set
to manual?

It was disabled, but I set it to automatic.
Lastly. For the past 2 months many users have experienced problems with
Windows Update or Automatic Updates. They do work but may take 20 mins to
start installing

But I get a message saying that the updates can not be installed.

Bob