Windows Installer 3.1 Fails to run or restart

I have just recently begun seeing a problem in our domain where certain
computers running WinXP Pro SP2 have stopped being able to use the installer.
The service is stopped and when I restart the service it gives the message
that the installer is unable to start and it is either misinstalled or
configured wrong.

The only way I have been able to correct the issue is to uninstall Windows
Installer and then reinstall it. This remedies the problem for a time but it
does seem to come back again.

Is there any solution or has anyone else seen this issue?

Confused and Frustrated
Don

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Don,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, Windows Installer 3.1 fails to run or restart on your
Windows XP machine. At this moment, could you help us confirm the following
information first?

1. Which application you are using Windows Installer 3.1 to run?
2. Is it happening during installation across the network or local?
3. Are you using GPO?
4. What is the exact error message? Please send me a screen shot of the
error message so that I can perform further research.

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support