'Windows Explorer is Not Responding' - Help!

mbech23

Hi. I have this problem I'm hoping I can get ANY help with.

For the last month or so, I've been having a problem with Windows
Explorer. At random times, and often several times once it begins, my
computer freezes and a message comes up: "Windows Explorer is Not
Responding." I'll be working in one program and want to bring up
another, and out of nowhere, I get the hourglass icon and not a single
program that is open will respond. In fact, my entire Start menu won't
come up.

After repeatedly clicking on the program, or on anything on my task
bar, the 'Windows Explorer is Not Responding' sign comes up and gives
me these options: Close the program or Wait for the program to respond.
And only if I click on 'Close the Program' will it activate, tell me
'Windows is checking for a solution to the problem' and after about
five seconds of the programs I am using freezing completely, everything
returns to normal.

When this happens, Ctrl+Alt+Del will work but the best I can do from
there is start the Task Manager and it simply tells me "Explorer.exe"
is not responding. What exactly is Windows Explorer, and how do I fix
this?

If it helps, I have Windows Vista Home Basic on a Toshiba laptop, and
the program I most recently added to it since this problem began is the
Microsoft Zune Program, but this happens whether I use Zune or not.
Aside from that, there really doesn't seem to be any pattern.

I hope I provided enough information and I'm sorry I'm not more
tech-savvy. Thanks!

bowfin

Hello,

Could you tell us:

A:how much room is left on your C:\ Drive? and:
B: How much RAM (memory) your Toshiba has in it?

Nitin194

hey I'm having the same problem
I hav 17 gb left on C drv
and 2gb ram
and having vista home premium on HP laptop
sometimes in normal work routine when i click on taskbar or try to open
other program or folder it doesnt respond and on repetitive pressing say 2-3
times a dialogue box comes above start button saying :this application is not
responding
please wait it may respond in few minute or du u want 2 end process"
and everything stops working and i have to end process then explorer
restarts and everything back to normal please help

mbech23

Thanks for responding. Here's what I found:

C Drive:
39.7 GB used
33.3 GB Free
(80 GB total)

And for RAM: I started with 500 MB and then purchased and added 1 G
more; 1.5 GB total.

I bought more memory because Vista had been slowing the computer'
performance dramatically. Once I added the RAM, it was totall
fine--until this problem came up.

Thanks again!

Colin Barnhorst

mbech23 said:
Thanks for responding. Here's what I found:

C Drive:
39.7 GB used
33.3 GB Free
(80 GB total)

And for RAM: I started with 500 MB and then purchased and added 1 GB
more; 1.5 GB total.

I bought more memory because Vista had been slowing the computer's
performance dramatically. Once I added the RAM, it was totally
fine--until this problem came up.

Thanks again!

Try repairing the system files. Click Start and type "cmd" into
Start/Search but do not hit Enter. Right click on the CMD icon at the top
of the menu and choose Run As Administrator. Type "sfc /scannow" (notice
the space) at the prompt and hit Enter.

mbech23

OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

'Colin Barnhorst[_2_ said:
;685335']"mbech23" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Thanks for responding. Here's what I found:

C Drive:
39.7 GB used
33.3 GB Free
(80 GB total)

And for RAM: I started with 500 MB and then purchased and added 1 GB
more; 1.5 GB total.

I bought more memory because Vista had been slowing the computer's
performance dramatically. Once I added the RAM, it was totally
fine--until this problem came up.

Thanks again!-

Try repairing the system files. Click Start and type "cmd" into
Start/Search but do not hit Enter. Right click on the CMD icon at th
top
of the menu and choose Run As Administrator. Type "sfc /scannow
(notice
the space) at the prompt and hit Enter

mbech23

Colin,
I ran the sfc scan on cmd and it returned no results. It showed,
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Is
there anything else I can try?

mbech23 said:
Colin,
I ran the sfc scan on cmd and it returned no results. It showed,
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Is
there anything else I can try?

You need to say what make and model computer you have, whether Vista came
preinstalled, and whether or not you have a Vista dvd (not just a recovery
dvd).

mbech23

Toshiba Satellite (laptop) M30X

Vista came pre-installed and I only have a Vista Recovery CD.

-

You need to say what make and model computer you have, whether Vista
came
preinstalled, and whether or not you have a Vista dvd (not just a
recovery
dvd).

measekite

mbech23 said:
Toshiba Satellite (laptop) M30X

Vista came pre-installed and I only have a Vista Recovery CD.

As Frank. He claims he is an expert.
'Colin Barnhorst[_2_ said:
;686662']"mbech23" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Colin,
I ran the sfc scan on cmd and it returned no results. It showed,
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
Is
there anything else I can try?

-

You need to say what make and model computer you have, whether Vista
came
preinstalled, and whether or not you have a Vista dvd (not just a
recovery
dvd).

mbech23

How do I contact Frank?

'Colin Barnhorst[_2_ Wrote:
-
;686662']"mbech23" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Colin,
I ran the sfc scan on cmd and it returned no results. It showed,
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
Is
there anything else I can try?

-

You need to say what make and model computer you have, whether Vista
came
preinstalled, and whether or not you have a Vista dvd (not just a
recovery
dvd).
-

-

mbech23

Thanks for the link! Here is a report from the latest error:

Product
Windows Explorer

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
7/25/2008 11:05 AM

Status
Report Sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
Hang Signatu 7ce1
Hang Type: 128
Waiting on Application Name: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc
Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 9224369711237709974176f646a5196a
Additional Hang Signature 2: 0c9f
Additional Hang Signature 3: a56c4207c57f0df533c0ba603853928d
Additional Hang Signature 4: 7ce1
Additional Hang Signature 5: 9224369711237709974176f646a5196a
Additional Hang Signature 6: 0c9f
Additional Hang Signature 7: a56c4207c57f0df533c0ba603853928d

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 157806391

All additional errors seem to have the same content in thei
reports...I hope this helps

zachd [MSFT]

Oh sweet - I was actually curious about this from a different angle on a
different project.

What sound card is this with what sound card driver version?

Tentatively it looks like your audio card driver is locking up when you tell
it to either increase the volume, decrease the volume, or mute/unmute.

If I recall correctly I was talking about this with the right person
recently and they were looking for more driver information here...

Ringmaster

Dear mbech2

I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution to yours
that works? I would really appreciate it if you do.

Thanks, Frank

Windows Explorer constantly keeps crashing because it was written by
the idiots of Redmond. It's been broke long before Vista. That's
Microsoft's dirty little secret. They know even their hand-picked
MVP's hate Explorer and many use a different shell.

Oops... probably way too much truth for the fanboy crowd.

Need proof?

Next time you see Explorer crash look up the crash in Event Viewer and
cookies to donuts it will point to the kernel or some other MICROSOFT
file that caused it. You got to be a world class dummy if that doesn't
wake you up. The number one reason WHY Vista crashes is oops Windows
itself doing something stupid that requires it to shut down one of
it's applets. So damn funny... Vista needs to close because IT did
something to cause it itself. The more you know about Windows, the
more you see how messed up it is.

D. Eth

Ringmaster said:
Windows Explorer constantly keeps crashing because it was written by
the idiots of Redmond. It's been broke long before Vista. That's
Microsoft's dirty little secret. They know even their hand-picked
MVP's hate Explorer and many use a different shell.

Oops... probably way too much truth for the fanboy crowd.

Need proof?

Next time you see Explorer crash look up the crash in Event Viewer and
cookies to donuts it will point to the kernel or some other MICROSOFT
file that caused it. You got to be a world class dummy if that doesn't
wake you up. The number one reason WHY Vista crashes is oops Windows
itself doing something stupid that requires it to shut down one of
it's applets. So damn funny... Vista needs to close because IT did
something to cause it itself. The more you know about Windows, the
more you see how messed up it is.

Then, genius, do better.
Make an OS we can all use error free.

You complain watching football games too.

Good job, squirt.

Ringmaster

Then, genius, do better.

No need, others already have. There are any number of shells that run
rings around Windows Explorer and NEVER crash nor forget settings or
any of the other dumb things Explorer constantly does. The one
constant in this newsgroup is MS fanboys can't handle the truth. I
LOVE to watch them lie, squirm and get their shorts bunched up in
knots trying to defend Microsoft.
Make an OS we can all use error free.
You complain watching football games too.

Sorry, I got better things to do than watch grossly overpaid dummies
running around on a field trying to knock each other down. Odd, for a
game called FOOTBALL, 99% of the time they never kick the ball or even
try to. Football is only surpassed in stupidity by soccer.

D. Eth

Ringmaster said:
No need, others already have. There are any number of shells that run
rings around Windows Explorer and NEVER crash nor forget settings or
any of the other dumb things Explorer constantly does. The one
constant in this newsgroup is MS fanboys can't handle the truth. I
LOVE to watch them lie, squirm and get their shorts bunched up in
knots trying to defend Microsoft.

Sorry, I got better things to do than watch grossly overpaid dummies
running around on a field trying to knock each other down. Odd, for a
game called FOOTBALL, 99% of the time they never kick the ball or even
try to. Football is only surpassed in stupidity by soccer.

It's OK.
Physically weak, whiney, girly men aren't expected to like football.

It is only surpassed by rugby as a sport.