Windows Explorer crashes on AVI files

Beebo

Whenever I use Windows Explorer to open a folder containing .AVI files, the
Explorer Window crashes (shuts down). A pop-up window opens telling me that
WindowsXP is sending an error report to Microsoft.

This happens no matter what 'view' I am using in Explorer. The problem
began when I updated with SP2.

Any help woudl be appreciated.

Mr Happy

Opening the directory seems to be the problem

Ican go in to DOS and deal with the file
I can use another app eg a file splitter/joiner that will
display and handle the same files

This only happens with AVI files

Looking with XP (SP2) eplorer and, the Dr Watson debufgger
appears and doesn't close again - have to close the debugger
with the task manager

I can launch the file and play but explorer closes itself down
and restarts in the background

Any ideas?

I have recently installed sp2
I have put on the latest Divx and Xvid codecs

Mr Happy,

Maybe the problem is with our video cards? I have an ATI Radeon 8500LE. What
about you?

(I've update to the latest driver, but explorer still crashes.)

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Hi,

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump my way. If you have any questions or I didn't
explain something well enough don't hesitate to e-mail me back (remove
'online'. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

Beebo said:
Mr Happy,

Maybe the problem is with our video cards? I have an ATI Radeon 8500LE.
What
about you?

(I've update to the latest driver, but explorer still crashes.)

Hi Joshua,

I enabled the driver verifier as you instructed in steps 1 through 5. My
explorer crashed as usual, but there was no blue screen, and no mini-dump. I
take this to mean that the problem is not a driver.

Is there anything else I can try?

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Hi Beebo,

Not sure if you got the email I responded to but I'll post here what we can
try next.

We can still troubleshoot what your issue is it will just be a little more
difficult. We can handle this a couple different ways. Two I just ran into
but I have never used myself so I don't know first hand how easy they are.
We can save those for later if the other two don't work. The first method
requires some registry editing but it will save you from having to do (as
many) debugger commands yourself.

1.. Open the Registry by clicking Start -> Run and type "regedit" without
quotes in the Run dialog box.
2.. In the Registry editor navigate in the left pane to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
3.. In the right pane right click the key called Debugger and edit so it
says "NTSD -p %ld -e %ld -g" without quotes instead of "drwtsn32 -p %ld -e
%ld -g"
4.. Once modified click Ok and ensure the entry has been modified
correctly.
5.. Minimize the editor and proceed to crash Explorer as you have.
6.. You should get a DOS looking window that is a debugger instead of the
online crash tool.
7.. You should be able to type in the debugger (without quotes but with
the '.' ) ".dump c:\explorerdump.dmp"
8.. Close the debugger window.
9.. You can do this more than once if you want. Just change the name of
the file created each time.
10.. Send me the files created and I'll look at them in a debugger and see
if I can find something that indicates what is going wrong.

Let me know if you need something explained more. If you don't feel
comfortable editing the registry let me know that too and I'll send you some
files that will do the editing for you.

Joshua Smith

VIDOCA and OpenGL Test Labs

Microsoft

-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Hi, Joshua,
I had a similar problem where oepned an AVi file and window crashed and I
reboot the laptop.
But I cannot get in to Windows any more.
everytime it boots no matter in regular or safemode. it will say "Windows
explorer has encountered an error, need to close. sorry for blah blah." and
it asked me to send a report. I send it.. then all I have is the desktop
backgroup. and no Icons, no Start Bar. nothing. But I can press CTLr-Alt Del
to see all the running process and can shut down from it.

Please help. I don't want to reinstall because I need to get my contacts and
emails out ..
Thanks

Tony.

David Candy

You don't need explorer to use your computer. You need to know this so you can solve your problem.

In Task Manager go File - New Task (Run)

If you browse from here (or any application File Open/Save As dialogs) you can do whatever you can in a folder with one change. The dbl click action is select so you must right click and choose Open. You can start program by browsing and for most common ones just by typing the name.

So type explorer there and see if it starts.

Next thing to do is start Event Viewer (type Eventvwr.msc) and find the error message.

Thanks David.
I run Explorer again, and still gives me the same error messege.
But I am able to run other apps like you said.
Any idea how i can fix it? or should I just do the back up and reinstall the
whole thing?

Thank you

David Candy

You can also try typing iexplore then type c:\ in the address bar.

http://www.uscricket.com
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message You don't need explorer to use your computer. You need to know this so you can solve your problem.

In Task Manager go File - New Task (Run)

If you browse from here (or any application File Open/Save As dialogs) you can do whatever you can in a folder with one change. The dbl click action is select so you must right click and choose Open. You can start program by browsing and for most common ones just by typing the name.

So type explorer there and see if it starts.

Next thing to do is start Event Viewer (type Eventvwr.msc) and find the error message.

David Candy

Can only repeat myself
Next thing to do is start Event Viewer (type Eventvwr.msc) and find the error message.