Windows Explorer Access Extremely Slow

On boot up PC always boots as if you pressed F8.
It defaults to Normal Boot and then will boot OK. Once booted it takes 3-4 minutes to open ‘My Computer’ or typing in a web address. Everything else is working fine. All shortcuts work.
Example you can go directly to My Documents but don’t try to open ‘My Computer’ to get there. ‘My Computer’ will take forever to open, but anything in that window will then be have a normal response time.

I really don’t want to rebuild the system if I can avoid it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

The Windows Explorer is slow because it can be a single problem or a
combination of problems.

Please run the following:

1. Run Disk Cleanup.
==================
Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and
Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may need to do this operation for each drive / partition.

2. Remove Cookies.
==================
Click Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> General -> Delete
Cookies.

3. Run Disk defragmenter
======================
Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

4. Msconfig
==========
Click Start -> Run, then type "msconfig". Switch to "startup" tab. See
if you have any unusual programs running startup.

5. Indexing
=========
Check your setting for the Indexing Service.
Click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Select
"Indexing Service". Right click and select properties. The default setting
is Manual. Change to Startup type to Disabled.

6. Event Viewer
==============
Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer
by:
Click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer

When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event ID
and Source Description is important. Please Visit the KB Article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--From: "=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=" <[email protected]>
--Subject: Windows Explorer Access Extremely Slow
--Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:55:47 -0700
--Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support