Windows Delayed Write Failed error message

Reaction score
Hi, I keep getting this error message when copying between two machines on a LAN.

First machine (client) runs Win XP home. Second machine (server) runs Win XP Pro, with Windows file-sharing.

Machines are connected by (wired) 100baseT ethernet via a Linksys router, on the same subnet.

Small files and general folder browsing is very fast & works well. However - running NTBACKUP to the server, or copying across a large file (e.g. 10 GB) causes the above error every time, usually just as the copy is about to terminate.

This used to work fine (for over a year), and I suspect that recent XP2 patches have messed it up …

I’ve tried various suggestions from MS knowledgebase, and independent websites –

- Tweaking SMB / LAN manager service registry settings (no joy)

- Disabling write cacheing on all drives (no joy)

- Removing hub / printer server that one machine is connected through (no joy)

At wits’ end now with it. Seems like MS have destabilised their file-server performance as a search for "delayed write failed" on Google produces a huge number of hits, some connected with (perhaps slower) USB external drives etc.

I tried to lodge a support request to MS, but because I'm running homebuilt PCs with OEM licenses (all legit), they expect me to pay £41 just for the initial contact. Bah.

Steve

Ask a Question