Windows ATI driver update and mscoree.dll missing

H

homepc

Windows update automatically installed a new video driver for my ATI Radeon 9200 SE video card last night. The new driver didn't agree with my Kyodai Mahjongg game so I rolled back the driver. I ran Norton System Works one button check up and it found some registry items that it repaired but it also found this item:

Missing program file:
C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
cannot access a necessary file, "mscoree.dll"

I found the missing file at http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?mscoree and copied it to the windows system32 folder and all seems well now, according to Norton.

First, is it absolutely necessary to have the latest video driver if the old one is still working fine? I have seen this video driver as an optional windows update, but now it's appearing as an urgent update. The driver I am using is:

ATI Technologies Date 6/10/2004 Driver Version 6.14.10.6458

Second, what caused the dll file to go missing? Was my solution correct?

J

Jerry

Your main problem was in letting Microsoft update the drivers from your video card. Never do that!!. Always go to the vendors web site and download them.

The latest ATI drivers are January 2005.

Windows update automatically installed a new video driver for my ATI Radeon 9200 SE video card last night. The new driver didn't agree with my Kyodai Mahjongg game so I rolled back the driver. I ran Norton System Works one button check up and it found some registry items that it repaired but it also found this item:

Missing program file:
C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
cannot access a necessary file, "mscoree.dll"

I found the missing file at http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?mscoree and copied it to the windows system32 folder and all seems well now, according to Norton.

First, is it absolutely necessary to have the latest video driver if the old one is still working fine? I have seen this video driver as an optional windows update, but now it's appearing as an urgent update. The driver I am using is:

ATI Technologies Date 6/10/2004 Driver Version 6.14.10.6458

Second, what caused the dll file to go missing? Was my solution correct?

Ask a Question