Windows XP Windows 98

Reaction score
hello am using windows xp home with 1 harddrive.

But am trying to split my drive in 2. So i can install windows 98 to play old games.

Any help.

Do not wanted to lose any data from my windows xp.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're going to need partitioning software such as Partition Magic,who Symantec now own.

But here's the rub, if you want to dual boot Win 95/Win 98 with XP, you have to install the earlier operating system first or it won't work.

There is a way of installing Win95/98 after XP, but it's very complicated.

And why Win 95? that OS wasn't really very good. I don't think there are many or any games that only run in Win 95 so you'd probably be better off using Win 98, it was a much more stable OS than '95.

Reaction score
Could you not install Windows 95 onto a usb drive & boot from that if you changed the BIOS to boot from an external drive?

Reaction score
nomis said:
Could you not install Windows 95 onto a usb drive & boot from that if you changed the BIOS to boot from an external drive?

Install program called acronis disk director.

Got my harddrive in 2 parts fine.

I had windows xp on first.Install windows 98 on the second part without any trouble.

Just had to install acronis disk director on windows 98.it would not boot windows xp home without it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alternative Idea!

Hey,

You could use the less permanent option of VMWare or Virtual PC.
These will allow you to build your Win98 image, then only fire it up when you need it - can always revert back to snapshots too - if you encounter driver conflicts etc - Gotta love those Win98 BSODs!

These app's are quite RAM intensive - but if you have over 1gb, then you're laughing. (512mb wil ljust run slightly slower - 256mb is extremely slow!)

Try 'em out :thumb: (Nothing to lose - compared with changing your drive partition structure)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Microsoft-Virtual-PC.shtml
http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/eval.html

Both work very well, but I think VMWare has the slight edge.

Good Luck ;)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael555 said:
I had windows xp on first.Install windows 98 on the second part without any trouble.

Just had to install acronis disk director on windows 98.it would not boot windows xp home without it.

Really? That's good to know, it would never work with PM8, that's for sure, unless you messed about a whole lot with things.

Maybe Acronis disk director rewrites the mbr for you whereas PM8 did not. Whatever the case, it would seem Acronis' software is better than Symantec's. Which doesn't surprise me really ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Really? That's good to know, it would never work with PM8, that's for sure, unless you messed about a whole lot with things.

Maybe Acronis disk director rewrites the mbr for you whereas PM8 did not. Whatever the case, it would seem Acronis' software is better than Symantec's. Which doesn't surprise me really ;)

Just install the software and spilt my c drive into 2 parts. I then install Install Acronis OS Selector.

So i could install a second windows. Windows xp was first , then windows 98.

Install windows 98 as fat32 using acronis.

So i would tell people to give this software i try first. It was easy to set up aswell.

Ask a Question