Windows 7 May I Move OS to SSD without Data Loss and Reinstalling Games on HDD?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new 256GB SSD for my Windows 8 and music files, documents, steam games, etc. But I'm somewhat hesitant because I don't want to lose all of the data and reinstall games. How would I move my OS over to a SSD without losing everything on my hard drive? And is 256GB enough for these staffs?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to PCR!

I don't know if 256GB is enough, as it depends on how much data you have at the moment. If you run Windows Explorer and check out how much spare you are currently using on C:, then that should give you a good idea :).

You can clone a HDD over to an SDD easily enough, most drives come with their own migration software (which is free). Which model are you going for and I'll see if it comes with some :).

Reaction score
It is recommended by most SSD manufacturers that a new clean install is made as cloning onto an SSD can cause issues after some use.

I certainly had issues after about 3months when I cloned over my OS to my new SSD

Saw my bum because I had to re install it all over again and go through all the hassle of backing up again

Things may have changed in the last 3 years however

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Perfectly possible to migrate your current installation to a new hard drive be it SSD, mechanical or hybrid but you will need software to do it.

As Ian pointed out some hard disk manufacturers supply free software to do this task and the software is usually a re-badged version of Acronis True Image or a variation of.

I've used Acronis True Image for years now and have cloned dozens of hard disks with it, no problems.

I'm using a small 120Gb Samsung SSD drive atm and I keep all my data and games, including my Steam directory, on seperate storage disks, all of which are mechanical drives.

How big is your current Steam directory?

Ask a Question