Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Released

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a look at my Win 7 update status and SP1 is queued ready for installation along with an update for Silverlight.

Silverlight? WTF? I always thought that was optional and I didn't want it installed but there it is, lurking on my hard drive :mad:

Sometimes I really don't like Microsoft at all, foisting crap on me I don't want or need because they think they know best.

I don't even really know what Silverlight does but I do know I have more than enough software to be able to do anything I want to do.

The SP1 install will be between 73.6 to 892Mb, they say. If it hasn't auto-installed by later this evening I shall initiate the installation.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I know the feeling sometimes Flops. I keep getting that Live Signin assistant installing on my machine, even though i dont use any 'Live' Programs.....

I remove it, it comes back... :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wasn't using the machine for a while so I started the installation of SP1 (and the Silverlight update).

Total download was 93.4Mb and the whole process including restart and config took 35 minutes.

Nothing's exploded yet.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Win7 SP1, installed, no problems, painless. :sleep:

as for "software" installing hidden components, try eliminating nVida's pile of junk, I mean, why do I have 2xDriverHelperService and WTF is it? Update center, user experience driver & performance service? nearly as bad as the logitech crap :confused:

:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Like i said its only a very small number by all accounts, those who have an Nvidia Chipset or those who have run the Cleanup command after the install.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And still nothing has exploded within Win 7 after applying SP1, lol

Nowt wrong with Nvidia setup either :)

Silverlight is still there.

Silverlight. Silverfish. When I were young, sometimes these little bugs called silverfish would appear in the bathtub when it was empty. We didn't want them to, but they did. Thinking of that, MS's Silverlight is aptly named.

I haven't seen a silverfish in years, probably due to increased hygiene standards since my youth in 1932. So much for the good old days eh? :)

Ok, I know, I'm waffling ;)

Reaction score
I'm trying to download the service pack and receive the following code C000007B. Can you help me out here? Thanks in advance.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm trying to download the service pack and receive the following code C000007B. Can you help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Disable your AV and try again. That seems to be working for all the errors people are getting while installing SP1

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Interesting... Been looking into the USB thing again...

While the driver version was correct in device manager, the actual .sys files in the system32 folder were the old ones.

So i used Pendmove and the .bat file to sort it, took less than 3 seconds and is dead easy.

Have attached the .bat file needed if anyone wants it. :)

Attachments

• pendmove.zip
    616 bytes · Views: 141

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Updated to SP1 took a while and the pc hung when I rebooted. Powered down and started up again with no problems. No sign of the USB problem. :)

Still deciding if I like 7 it looks pretty but it has some annoyances and I can not see that it is any better than me old XP that I had tweaked and pretteyed up just purfectly fer me. :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you actually check the version of the files in the system32/drivers folder? Devmgr will report the correct version as its only partially updates. ;)

I get the impression most didn't actually read the problem. Hell i didn't read it properly the first time.

Who is NOT affected by this bug?

Anyone who installed a new copy of Windows 7 SP1 using an official integrated ISO (and it looks like homemade slipstreamed integrated ISOs are okay, too).

Update: From the user reports in this thread, it seems that a small subset of users do not appear to be affected by this bug. I suspect that this is hardware-dependent--i.e., certain hardware configurations are immune to the bug. However, since most of these users did not report what their hardware was, there is insufficient data with which to identify commonalities and identify what hardware configurations are immune.
Of the several USB-related driver files updated by SP1, three files, usbport.sys, usbehci.sys, and winusb.sys (note: not all hardware configurations use winusb.sys, so it is normal for it to be missing) were only partially updated; i.e., the SP1 installer only updated the "repository" copies of these files--i.e., the copies found in WinSxS and DriverStore. The "active" copies, found in System32\Drivers, are not updated (this is a bug with the installer). People who did a new installation using an integrated ISO are not affected (both the "repository" and "active" copies are 7601) (so this only affects a 7600->7601 update), and other USB-related driver files seem to be unaffected (e.g., the SP1 installer updates both the "repository" and "active" copies of usbhub.sys).

As i said earlier, i checked devmgr after the update and all was well, But i checked the actual file version as it says in the post i linked to and the version were the old ones... ;)

So i used pendmove and the .bat file i created above to fix it. now all three files are upto date. :user:

attachment.php

Attachments

• usbinfo.png
    usbinfo.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 966

muckshifter

Reaction score
let sleeping dogs lay ... :rolleyes:

the "fix" has buggered up my system

Attachments

• usbcrap.PNG
    usbcrap.PNG
    74.5 KB · Views: 230

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Interesting. So yours were the older 7600.16385 version?

Do you have KB976972 installed?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Interesting. So yours were the older 7600.16385 version?

Do you have KB976972 installed?
what the heck do you mean, "older version", it's an original ... I couldn't tell you what was installed or not, and I bet a shed load of other peeps will be in the same boat ... USB has never worked since its inception in 1995, not as intended, and all them stipid ISPs that insisted in using it to connect to their modems were a :fool:

The "fix" did nothing but put a copy of one of the new files into system32, it actually has a .copy extension :lol:

the second "fix" just insures you are left with no mouse & keyboard, yeah, I "upgraded to USB crap :( so, when you delete the USB hub, you is buggered. :mad:

where is the Microsoft "fix" :confused:

Reaction score
Did you actually check the version of the files in the system32/drivers folder? Devmgr will report the correct version as its only partially updates. ;)

I get the impression most didn't actually read the problem. Hell i didn't read it properly the first time.

As i said earlier, i checked devmgr after the update and all was well, But i checked the actual file version as it says in the post i linked to and the version were the old ones... ;)

So i used pendmove and the .bat file i created above to fix it. now all three files are upto date. :user:

attachment.php

VR what programme do you use to open them files as when i try it wont let me open it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
what the heck do you mean, "older version", it's an original ... I couldn't tell you what was installed or not, and I bet a shed load of other peeps will be in the same boat ... USB has never worked since its inception in 1995, not as intended, and all them stipid ISPs that insisted in using it to connect to their modems were a :fool:

The "fix" did nothing but put a copy of one of the new files into system32, it actually has a .copy extension :lol:

the second "fix" just insures you are left with no mouse & keyboard, yeah, I "upgraded to USB crap :( so, when you delete the USB hub, you is buggered. :mad:

where is the Microsoft "fix" :confused:
Older version - Original version - 6.1.7600.16385

Yeah i had another version in the folder, then i rebooted and windows replaced the active versions with the new ones. The ext wasn't copy mind you....

I used the second fix, the one with pendmove and the batch file. It worked fine for me.... :)

I expect a MS fix it due eventually, who knows when though...

VR what programme do you use to open them files as when i try it wont let me open it.
I used a program called windows Judge. Right click, properties. :)

Ask a Question