Windows XP Windows 2003 - Remote Desktop connection error

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having trouble accessing my Windows 2003 Server from an outside remote desktop connection. I have set this up many, many times and never a problem. This time, the connection will just not go through.
Background:
The server is Windows SBS 2003 which is multi-homed. Internal Card: 10.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0 No gateway. External Card: 192.168.0.2 Mask 255.255.255.0 G/W 192.168.0.1 Router is: 192.168.0.1 G/W 255.255.255.0. I have setup the router to forward just port 3389 to 192.168.0.2. The router also has an external (net) address that is static. Just for good measure, I have also setup a DynDNS account for this static address on the router (netcomm DG834). The router has the latest firmware.
On the Server, Routing and Remote Access is enabled, additional rule created to allow members of 'Remote Operators' Group to access server. Also, in control panel, System, Remote - access is granted to 'remote desktop users' and for good measure 'allow this machine to be remote controlled' ticked.
User account (s) checked to make sure that they are a: members of 'remote operators' group and b: have correct permissions.
Application:
When I try to connect via remote desktop - the connection times out. It does not matter whether I try the DNS name or the static IP - it times out. When I monitor the router log, it shows the connection coming in and that it is 'forwarding' the packed to the correct IP address. The server however, shows NOTHING in the logs what-so-ever. It is obviously dropping the packet - but why? As mentioned, I have set this up in many locations exactly the same and I just cannot work out what is going on.
Yes, I have put service pack one for SBS 2003 on, and yes, I have rebooted the server and firewall many times - yes, I have also tried creating a seperate account just for the remote access and finally, yes - I have tried another router - same thing. Can anyone PLEASE help, this is driving me mad!!

Ask a Question