Windows 7 Change password through remote desktop

Reaction score
Hi there everyone!
I'm just a newbie on this forum and I was amazed how you guys answer each others' questions and posts.

Anyway, i really need help from you guys..
My story goes this way..
I am a seafarer and I left my laptop(Windows 7) at home for my kids to use but unfortunately I forgot to change the internet settings(kids not supposed to see) and erase scary, heavy blooded movies and etc.

My question is, is it possible for me to change my administrator password and create another user account instead or enable the "guest" account using remote desktop connection?

I haven't tried using remote desktop yet but i've search the net and found how to do it(below) but I am not sure if i could change the settings.. please help.. thank you in advance guys..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...op-connections-from-outside-your-home-network :bow:

Reaction score
You can do these things by using a Remote Desktop Connection to the computer with the administrator account. You can then modify, create, enable, and change passwords for local accounts by right clicking on the "Computer" icon and going to Manage. In this window, open Local Users and Groups, then Users. On the right hand side you can use right click to do most of what you need. I think your largest problem is going to be establishing the remote desktop connection. If this isn't a computer that is on the same domain as a computer that you have access to, you will need 3rd party software that will allow you to connect and view/control the screen. Let me know if this answers your question!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The larger issue is whether or not your network setup is configured to allow you to properly connect to that machine. If you have a router with several machines attached, designed to accept remote connections, then the first machine that gets the routed request will be accessed. This can make it very difficult to get to the right machine. If you power down the other machines, the request should go to the desired system.

As long as you can connect using the Administrator account, you can change whatever you want. It is when you cannot connect via an admin account with remote ability that issues begin to show up.

To make things easier, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router so that you can access the proper machine. An RDP connection to IP XX.XX.XX.XX : port number will match to the desired machine. Local IP reservations should also be used so that the machines are static on the network.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the response ALOW..Yes, these are the answers i need..
But do you think, i can't establish a connection using remote desktop if both computers are not in the same domain? Is there any other way?...And what 3rd party software should i need to purchase to do this and do i need to install the software on both computers?

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Remote desktop does not require a domain configuration. It only requires basic network communication and a properly configured network.

There are many different pieces of software available for free. Google "remote desktop software"

Some of my favorites are Teamviewer, RealVNC and Join.me (browser based remote control from LogMeIn)

Reaction score
thank you very much Silverhazesurfer!!! Your suggestion works! Incredible!!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I use LogMein on my computers and have the app for my iPhone. It's ppretty good and says what it does on the tin. Only real gripe is it can be a little slow on computers running low amounts of RAM

Ask a Question