Windows 2000 and XP pcs printing to the same print queue

David Beaven

We have a HP4500 print queue on Windows2000 SP4 server and seem to have to
set printer device settings (e.g. duplexer installed, memory etc) from a
remote 2000 client with manage printer rights. The clients can add the
network printer and it all works.
Then XP clients find that when they add the printer the duplexer is missing.
Log on as a 'manage printer' rights user to an XP pc and see that the
duplexer is not installed. Install it. Log off.
All the Windows 2000 users then complain that the duplexer is not available,
but the XP clients are happy. I could then repeat this process to sort the
windows 2000 users but break it for the XP clients.
Any clues please? HP suggest that it is a driver issue (?same driver used
for 2000 and XP clients)

Thanks
David

Peter Yang [MSFT]

Hello David,

Thank you for your posting!

Based on my research, the issue should be related to duplexer driver or
hardware. I suggest that you refer to the following link for some related
information:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl06
551

Also, HP seems provide different driver for Windows XP and 2000 for the
printer:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID
=15079&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25505&submit.y=
8&submit.x=6&cc=us

This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites.

Since the device and drivers of the printer are developped by HP, it is
recommended that you keep contacting them for more information on the
issue.

If you have further questions on the issue, please feel free to post back.

Thanks & Regards,

Peter Yang
MCSE2000, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Partner Online Support

from your issue.

From: "David Beaven" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2000 and XP pcs printing to the same print queue
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:13:36 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

We have a HP4500 print queue on Windows2000 SP4 server and seem to have to
set printer device settings (e.g. duplexer installed, memory etc) from a
remote 2000 client with manage printer rights. The clients can add the
network printer and it all works.
Then XP clients find that when they add the printer the duplexer is missing.
Log on as a 'manage printer' rights user to an XP pc and see that the
duplexer is not installed. Install it. Log off.
All the Windows 2000 users then complain that the duplexer is not available,
but the XP clients are happy. I could then repeat this process to sort the
windows 2000 users but break it for the XP clients.
Any clues please? HP suggest that it is a driver issue (?same driver used
for 2000 and XP clients)

Thanks
David

David Beaven

Peter

The PCL v6 driver is v4.3.2.201 and as far as I can see is identical for Xp
and 2000.
Not a duplexer issue since other options like tray assignments are also
affected (e.g. tray 3 installed: yes/no).
Any more thoughts?
Thanks
David

Tim Hall

David,

While probably not ideal, why not create another printer. On our server here
we have 4 printers that all have different configurations but output to the
same physical printer (eg we have Plain Single Sided, Plain Double sided,
Letter Head, and Invoice), this save the team memebr time wen having to
print stuff. If you setup a different share for the XP users and 2k users,
maybe that will sidestep the issue.

Its not the best solution, but its worth a try.

FYI: we are using a 4050DTN with that setup, and until it left we had the
same setup with a 4100DTN as well, however we never had any problem between
2k and XP users interfering with eachothers settings.

Tim Hall

Peter Yang [MSFT]

Hello David,

Thanks for tim' suggestion. Please try his suggestion and update us the
testing result. If you have further question, please feel free to post

From: "Tim Hall" <[email protected]>