Win2000 Laptop & WinXP Pro Networking - Help !!

Neil

Hi All,

For some time now I have been happily bringing home my work laptop (domain
environment) and
plugging it into my home network (workgroup environment).

Having re - installed WinXP Pro at home last week, I now find I cannot get
my Win2000 laptop to
talk to my network.

From the laptop, I can browse the XP Pro desktops but not connect to them,
this is OK.

From the desktops, I can browse the Win2000 laptop and when I attempt to
connect to it, a dialogue
pops up requesting user name and password.

Previously I would have entered the details of a user on the laptop and be
connected to the shares...

The attempt to log on is rejected, not by an error message, simply by the
dialogue staying up on the screen
with the password highlighted.
Additionally, in the name field it changes my user name input from 'Neil' to
'desktoppc\Neil'.
If I try to change the entry in the name field to 'laptoppc\Neil' it rejects
the password which I know to be correct.

Note, I am only interested in connecting from the desktop XP Pro to the 2000
laptop, not vice versa.

My router assigns the laptop an IP, I can ping it but no sharing....

Is it likely that a newly installed WinXP Pro setup with all current
Critical Updates is by default unfriendly to
a Win2000 connection ?

What can I check to help sort this problem out ?

Many thanks,

Neil

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting!

My name is Jeff and I understand your issue to be:
Failed to connect to the Windows 2000 share from the Windows XP.

If I have misunderstood your issue please let me know.

Method 1:
==========

Disable any third party firewall or anti-virus software on both computers.
Only install the firewall on the interface that directly connected to the
Internet.

Method 2:
==========

Enable the Guess account on Windows 2000 computer.

Click from Start > Control Panel > User Accounts.
Enable the Guest accounts.

Method 3:
==========

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP:

1. Click from Start > Settings > Network Connections
2. Choose the local connection you use to connect to LAN.
3. Right click it and choose Properties.
4. Choose the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press Properties.
5. Press the Advanced tab on the General tab in "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties" dialog box.
6. Choose the WINS tab.
7. Choose to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".
8. Press OK.
9. Close all windows.

Method 4:
==========

Install IPX/SPX.

1. Click Start.
2. Right click the My Network Places and choose Properties.
3. Right click the Local Are Connection and choose Properties.
4. Press the Install¡­ button and select the protocol.
5. Press the Add button.
6. Select the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol from the
list.
7. Press Ok.
8. Follow the steps to complete the installation.

For build up a home networking, here are some very detailed articles with
screen captures:
813936 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813936
813937 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 2)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813937
813938 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 3)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813938
813939 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 4)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813939
813940 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 5)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813940
814003 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 6)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814003
814004 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 7)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814004
814005 How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 8)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=814005

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or
questions regarding the issue.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2000, MCDBA, MCSA

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Neil,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion helps or if you have any further questions.
Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if you need additional help.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2000, MCDBA, MCSA

Neil

Hi All,

Whilst the help has been great, I found a simple answer to the original
problem.

When using the laptop at work, I use a USB keyboard.

When I took the laptop home one night I changed the password without
realising that
num lock was on, caused by the USB keyboard.

Effectively instead of typing an 'm' the laptop saw my keystroke as a '0'.

Hence when trying to gain access via a networked login, my password was
being rejected.

Thanks,

Neil

"Jeff Qiu [MSFT]" said:
[...]

Thank you for your update, Neil! I am glad to hear the problem is fixed.

I believe you may keep the suggestions for further reference.

From: "Neil" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Subject: Win2000 Laptop & WinXP Pro Networking - Help !!
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:19:01 +1000
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Hi All,

For some time now I have been happily bringing home my work laptop (domain
environment) and
plugging it into my home network (workgroup environment).

Having re - installed WinXP Pro at home last week, I now find I cannot get
my Win2000 laptop to
talk to my network.

From the laptop, I can browse the XP Pro desktops but not connect to them,
this is OK.