win2000 data recovery needed

daniel kaplan

i am trying to find the BEST data recovery program for Win2000. My story is
simple, sad, but true. I went and changed the store folder on OE, to try
and look at some old files. It did give me a dialog box which said NOTHING
ABOUT DELETING everything, and I still said NO. OE didn't work in the new
folder so I switched it back!

EVERY DBF FILE WAS GONE. YEARS WORTH! Now I have a CD back up, but it is 6
months old! Forget my fury at MSoft for making it so easy to wipe out years
of work.

What it comes down to is that any data recoevery program I run, only sees
ONE of the old DBX files. JUST ONE!

Does anyone know of a GREAT data recovery program?

Oh please help me! Please!

Richard Urban

You should know that every second you use that computer, the chances to
recover information decreases dramatically. When you lose something, the
first thing you do is "shut the computer down". Then collect your thoughts
and analyze your options.

The way to recover your deleted files is by booting up the computer with a
"recovery floppy" that is created by a program such as EasyRecovery
Professional, available at www.ontrack.com. An excellent program by the way,
but quite expensive. If the file is able to be recovered, this is the one
program that will do it. Believe me, I have tried them all - because I
didn't want to spend the money. But this one works.

If you go for it, install the program to ANOTHER computer. Then, create the
recovery floppy disks. Now, use these disks to start the computer with the
missing files and follow the instructions. It may take many hours to scan a
huge drive to see what is available for recovery!

Good luck (-:
--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your posting here. You can also try the following steps.

Close Outlook Express.
Perform a thorough search for the DBX files on your hard disk.
Create a new folder named "Mails" on hard disk
Copy all the DBX files to this folder
Please uncheck the Read only attribute of all the DBX files.
If there is Folder.dbx file in the Mails folder, please remove it.
Open Outlook Express
Click Tools, Click Options
Click the Maintenance tab
Click the Store Folder button
Click Change and locate to the Mails folder

If you still do not get the the origional emails, I would like to suggest
that you contact the third party data recovery service to restore the data.
Here a few that I am aware of:

<http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp>
<http://www.bitmart.net/>
<http://www.executivesoftware.com/undelete/undelete.asp>

===Disclaimer ===
This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

At last, I recommend that you backup the data in Outlook Express first
before doing big action to the computer in future.For detail steps about
how to manually Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data, please refer to
the following article in Microsoft Knowledge Base.

OLEXP: How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q270/6/70.asp

Wish it helps.

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "daniel kaplan" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: win2000 data recovery needed
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:17:10 -0400

[...]

Pegasus \(MVP\)

daniel kaplan said:
i am trying to find the BEST data recovery program for Win2000. My story is
simple, sad, but true. I went and changed the store folder on OE, to try
and look at some old files. It did give me a dialog box which said NOTHING
ABOUT DELETING everything, and I still said NO. OE didn't work in the new
folder so I switched it back!

EVERY DBF FILE WAS GONE. YEARS WORTH! Now I have a CD back up, but it is 6
months old! Forget my fury at MSoft for making it so easy to wipe out years
of work.

What it comes down to is that any data recoevery program I run, only sees
ONE of the old DBX files. JUST ONE!

Does anyone know of a GREAT data recovery program?

Oh please help me! Please!

If you're dealing with years worth of information then you should
seriously consider asking a recovery bureau to retrieve your files.
They can work miracles for a fairly moderate fee.

After your fury about Microsoft has subsided you might want
to do some soul searching, asking yourself why you did not back
up your important files to one or two independent media every
week. Your type of disaster is just one of many possible ones,
e.g. theft, fire, hard disk crash, corruption etc. etc. The common
answer to all of them is: ***Back up your important data***