Retreiving data from dead iPod

Reaction score
Hey all,

A girl at work has an old classic ipod, think it's the 5th generation one that plays videos.

Anyway, she was saying she has about 10 years of photos on it and a while ago it totally died. She's really keen to get the data back off it and I said I would have a look. Mainly, just because I actually enjoy data recovery like the sad case that I am! :D

So, what I was wondering was, has anyone done this before, and how difficult is it? She isn't bothered about the iPod as she has a new one, so she's happy if I just smash it to pieces. Surely there's just a hard drive in it that I can take out, connect to my pc somehow and copy the data?

Thanks in advance.

Bodhi

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Surely there's just a hard drive in it that I can take out, connect to my pc somehow and copy the data?
Probably, let us know when you smash it up, and take pictures :thumb: in stages of breaking up :drool:

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's a 1.8" hard drive in the 5th gen models... however they use some sort of ZIF socket. You'd need to buy an adaptor to something your PC can handle, but even then I don't know what file format the iPod would use. If you can get hold of another iPod 5th gen, you could always swap the drives over temporarily?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's a 1.8" hard drive in the 5th gen models... however they use some sort of ZIF socket. You'd need to buy an adaptor to something your PC can handle, but even then I don't know what file format the iPod would use. If you can get hold of another iPod 5th gen, you could always swap the drives over temporarily?

I think the file system is dependant on the machine its used with as you can use them like a USB drive, so if she has a PC it'd be FAT32

I'd probably be inclined to get an adaptor and try it, if it doesn't work get another ipod to swap the drive into

Reaction score
Not sure I can swap the drive into another iPod as it is apparantely pretty tough to get them open without breaking the casing. Apple don't like you to be able to do anything with their products after all.

I am looking forward to smashing the crap out of an apple product I have to say!!

I think I might try and find a caddy for the 1.8" drive. Anyone know how common caddies like that are, or where I could buy one?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not sure I can swap the drive into another iPod as it is apparantely pretty tough to get them open without breaking the casing. Apple don't like you to be able to do anything with their products after all.

I am looking forward to smashing the crap out of an apple product I have to say!!

I think I might try and find a caddy for the 1.8" drive. Anyone know how common caddies like that are, or where I could buy one?

The caddy's your best bet but it's not true you'll break the casing taking an i-Pod apart, I've replaced the batteries successfully on several i-Pods. I think I may have even posted a thread with pictures showing the procedure on this forum.

A Google will show you several suppliers selling replacement batteries and hard drives with guides on how to do it.

But as I said, the caddy listed here is probably your best bet. Be careful when you break the i-Pod, you don't want to damage the hard drive.

Edit: Link

Reaction score
OK, so this is where we are up to. I got the iPod apart by basically jamming a couple of flat head screwdrivers down the side of it and prying it open. The iPod was broken anyway, but it felt good mangling one of Steve Job's babies! ;-)

So the hard drive that is in it is a Samsung Spinpoint. Model: HS081HA.

This is where I need some help guys. I don't have a desktop at the moment, so I need to come up with a way to connect this hard drive to my laptop. It is a 'ZIF' connection as far as I am aware, 1.8" drive. Is there some cable, or enclosure that will work with a Samsung 1.8" ZIF drive and connect it to USB do you know?

Ask a Question