---- original message ----
From: Robert Premuz ([email protected])
Date: 2004-01-13 01:31:32 PST

In a local network I have the following situation:
* MS Windows 2003 Server as a domain controller
(domain XYZ.local, short name: XYZ)
- TCP/IP network protocol, DHCP, DNS
* Novell NetWare 3.12 server (name: XYZ)
- IPX/SPX network protocol
* MS Windows XP Professional SP1 workstations (more exactly: XP
Professional Ver. 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1)
- TCP/IP network protocol, IPX/SPX network protocol
- Client For Microsoft Networks (the Windows XP component)
- Client Service for NetWare (CSNW) (the Windows XP component)
- The workstations are added to the Windows 2003 domain.
- The user accounts for each user have the same username and password
on both Windows 2003 domain and NetWare 3.12 server.
- The "Run Login Script" option is set in the CSNW options on
workstations.

In these circumstances, when users log into workstations, they are not
able to open the XYZ\SYS volume on the NetWare server although they
are attached to it.
Also the NetWare system login script (common for all users) is not
executed during the login.
On the other side, the NetWare user login script (individual for each
user) is executed during the login.
But the users are able to map a drive to the XYZ\SYS volume, e.g. using
net use f: \\XZY\SYS
(this makes the problem really strange).

The same problem happens with the Windows 2000 Server and domain.
But it does not happen if the short domain name (here XYZ) is
different than the NetWare server name (here XYZ).

The problem is not with the NetWare permissions because if the same
users log on a Win XP Pro. without SP1 installed or Win 2000 Pro. with
SP4 installed (which also exist in that Windows domain), the problem
does not occur.

I tried to use Novell NetWare Client for Windows ver. 4.90 on the
workstations, but the problem remained.

So, I conclude that there is something broken in Windows XP Service
Pack 1, which makes Windows XP Professional unable to access a volume
on a NetWare 3.12 server if the name of the server is equal to the
short name of the Windows domain the workstation belongs to.

It seems that currently the problem is not described in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Any suggestions?

-- rpr. /Robert Premuz/

Steve Nielsen

Robert said:
There is a solution to the problem I asked about in the message below.

It seems that MS Knowledge Base Article 171386
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171386
describes the cause of the problem: connectivity delay when you
attempt to connect to network resources from a system with multiple
redirectors installed.

It also explains how to fix it (by changing some registry values).

-- rpr.

[...]

This may help:

http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

Written for NT/2K but applies to XP Pro as well.

Steve