Win Server 2003 Shared Fax Server-Client, Fax server information can not be retrieved

Reaction score
Windows Server 2003 Standard - Fax Services & XP Home/Pro clients

I installed the Fax Services and shared the Fax on the Win2K3 Server. I was able to see it and install it on the WinXP Home PC. The only time I saw an error was when I was accessing the Send Fax Wizard on the WinXP Home Fax Client PC. As soon as I clicked off the "Welcome to Send Fax Wizard" intro page I got the message:

"Send Fax Wizard", "Fax server information can not be retrieved"

The Local Fax (Modem) works fine on the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs and the Windows Server 2003 PC

The problem is the Windows XP Home/Pro PCs can not send a fax to the shared fax on the Windows Server 2003 PC.

I noticed that on XP Home/Pro PCs in the Fax Console there is a red "X" in the middle of the status bar at the bottom. When I double click on it. A "Fax and Printer Status" window pops up. next to "Fax" the message "Communication error" is displayed.

Any Ideas?

Note:
The Windows Server 2003 is on a Domain Controler, "DC001". The other 5 Windows XP Home/Pro computers are not on that domain. They are on a local workgroup, "WG001" in the same office. All computers can see each others shared folders and access them. One WG001 PC is a Windows XP Home the other 4 are Windows XP Pro.

From all the WG001 computers, I can see, install and print to the shared printer on DC001, the Windows Server 2003 PC.

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question