Windows XP Win Media Player 10

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm sitting here, listening to music 'Ripped' to my HD ... at the same time Ripping more CDs.

Well, I thought it was good ... can do the same in Linux, just surprised I can do the same in Windows. :D

... anybody got any tips. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Only tip I can think of is to use WMA unless you're using an MP3 player that can't use them. The quality is better for the same size :) About 2/3 size of MP3s at the same quality.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'm sitting here, listening to music 'Ripped' to my HD ... at the same time Ripping more CDs.

Well, I thought it was good ... can do the same in Linux, just surprised I can do the same in Windows. :D

... anybody got any tips. :thumb:
MS will now be pushing Media Player 10 with stickers saying endorsed by Muckshifter:p
No tips yet, but have you tried PG Tips, i hear thats good:lol:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Only tip I can think of is to use WMA unless you're using an MP3 player that can't use them. The quality is better for the same size :) About 2/3 size of MP3s at the same quality.

Yes 411 songs on 700 MB CD 16 HRS of music :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yep WMA ... it seems it is the default. :thumb:

just make sure you dont have the protected box ticked
Oh no, no 'protection' here ... ;)

Supply of "Ear muffs" at the door please mucks
??? just turn down your hearing aids ... :rolleyes:

... I have turned up the sub though ... don't know if them downstairs are banging on their ceiling or the sub breaking up the floorboards. :D

feckit ... shut up, MS can't pay me enough for any endorsement. Though I do like their free software. :p

Reaction score
??? just turn down your hearing aids ... :rolleyes:

I have Boom Boom :lol:
... I have turned up the sub though ... don't know if them downstairs are banging on their ceiling or the sub breaking up the floorboards. :D
"Flat for sale" nice quiet neighbour-hood:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Compatibility wise MP3 is your best bet. If you plan to rip a huge quantity of music you will not be able to go back. Wma quality as explained by Ian is about right.

Variable bit rate MP3's can be very useful where you set the min to say 64 and max to 320, this way the file size is much smaller and quality is same as you would get on fixed bitrate at higher numbers.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thanks for that Quad ... compatability is not an issue, I only have a PC. Just get fedup plonking CDs into the drive. ;)

:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Thanks for that Quad ... compatability is not an issue, I only have a PC. Just get fedup plonking CDs into the drive. ;)

:D

Well in that case no worries :D

Enjoy! :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
If I hang my speakers upsidedown ... will I have to stand on my head??? :)

There is no room in this corner ... but I could hang them under the shelf.
nod.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If I hang my speakers upsidedown ... will I have to stand on my head??? :)

There is no room in this corner ... but I could hang them under the shelf.
nod.gif

Upside down, right side up, or sideways, no problems. The better thing to do however is to have the tweeters in line with your ears.:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
"tweeters"

:confused:

I had chicken for dinner ...
nod.gif

Sorry Quad, I love my music, but I don't really have anything so'fist'ticated as tweeters ... 2.1 Labtec thingies, dam good sub though. :blush:

Hmmm, they is 6years old & cost £70 ... do you think I should get some new ones. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
"tweeters"

:confused:

I had chicken for dinner ...
nod.gif

Sorry Quad, I love my music, but I don't really have anything so'fist'ticated as tweeters ... 2.1 Labtec thingies, dam good sub though. :blush:

Hmmm, they is 6years old & cost £70 ... do you think I should get some new ones. :)

The small two speakers that you have would be having tweeters, they should be in line with your ears, they produce all the high frequencies and the sub takes care of low frequencies. The sub can be placed anywhere due to non directionality of sound waves the higher frequencies however are directional.

If they are OK you need not change them but if you think they have aged, you may consider some 2.1 Logitechs.

muckshifter

Reaction score
uh oh ... got a problem then ...

Ta,

You just talked me out of getting any new ones ... :thumb:

Now if you could point me in the right direction for a new pair of ears ... I have hearing loss ... no High or Low frequencies left ...
laughingsmiley.gif

* 'tis true *

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Ta,

You just talked me out of getting any new ones ... :thumb:

Now if you could point me in the right direction for a new pair of ears ... I have hearing loss ... no High or Low frequencies left ...
laughingsmiley.gif

* 'tis true *

I was merely saying things about high and low frequencies for the benefit of others. Your speakers hardly produce any low or high frequency in real terms anyway
laughingsmiley.gif

However, they should be producing more of both low and high then what you are capable of hearing, any change in the speaker will not benefit you. Stay put, you can spend your money more wisely. ;)

Reaction score
We have an entire CD collection, 9 straight days of music, ripped to our 200Gb media centre in 320k MP3

I believed this to be CD quality... am i wrong?

Is there a quality BETTER than 320k MP3 without exceeding 13mb per track?

Ask a Question