Win 2K Reinstall won't work

Bill Robinson

Hello, I'm hoping someone may have a solution to a major
problem I'm experiencing.

My Win 2k machine gave me a blue screen (I don't remember
the message)2 days ago after I had been setting up some
shared folders (I had just completed setting it up with
another PC in a peer-to-peer network). It would not
reboot. I booted it from the floppy boot disks and
attempted to reinstall Win 2K on the existing NTFS
partition (all of the C: drive). The PC has no other hard
drives.

During the install, I received messages on each file that
it was unable to copy the file, with the option to skip
it. I chose to skip the files, and ended up with a
c:\winnt directory with all subdirectories. But, all of
them were empty (no files).

I decided I would have to reformat the disk and start from
scratch, but first wanted to save as many files to floppy
as I could. I attempted (while in the recovery console) to
copy files to the a: drive. I received a message "Access
denied". So, I am unable to save any of my files off the
hard drive.

I have found that this is the situation:

I CAN create and remove directories.
I CAN delete individual files.
I CAN use "type" command to display text files to the
monitor.
I CANNOT copy files from floppy to hard disk (access
denied).
I CANNOT copy files from hard disk to floppy (access
denied).
I CANNOT copy files from one directory to another on the
hard disk (access denied).

So it appears the hard disk is locked out of being able to
be written to or copied, but not read.

I'm not sure if I inadvertantly messed up the permission
on the hard drive while setting the shares. How can this
be checked (all the existing Win 2K files were erased
during the attempted reinstall)?

I ran the "FIXBOOT" command from the repair console, with
no effect. It just said it had suscessfully repaired the
bootsector, but he proble remains.

Is there any way I can get the hard drive to allow copying
and installing files, or am I going to have to consider it
a total loss, and just reformat. I'm wondering if that can
even be done. (the drive is a WD 20 GB ATA-100).

Thanks, and I really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Bill

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi Bill,

RE: "attempted to reinstall Win 2K on the existing NTFS partition.... received
messages on each file that it was unable to copy the file, with the option to skip
it. I chose to skip the files..."

Not being able to copy files during an in-place upgrade can be the result of
incorrect NTFS permissions on the partition on which Windows 2000. For more
information, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

KB319344 - "Setup Cannot Copy the File" Error Message During In-Place Upgrade of
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=319344

Not being able to copy files during setup can also be caused by the following reasons
outlined in this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

257954 - Random Files May Not Be Copied During Text-Mode Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=257954

The Windows CD-ROM is damaged or dirty.
PC133 SDRAM is being used in a computer that requires PC100 SDRAM.
The CD-ROM drive is malfunctioning.
The RAM is mismatched or the memory is faulty.

And on the subject of faulty RAM, here's what another user with the same problem had
to say about it: