Will there be any new AGP graphics cards?

Reaction score
Hey again. Seeing as PCI-E, SLI and dual-core appear to be the way forward, will there be any new graphics cards made for AGP? Or are the 6800 Ultra and the X850 as good as its gonna get?

Kenny

Kye

Reaction score
I would assume there would be. The next big new graphics cards should eventually be AGP, but probably PCI-e will come first.

AGP is still very popular. But, i might be wrong, its anyones guess i think. A few motherboards have a AGP slot and a PCI-e, and there popular.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lets put it this way

Just in case you didn't notice, they are all PCI cards. ;)

AGP will be around a long time yet.

Reaction score
I reckon any AGP cards that are released in the future will

a) be native PCI-E and bridged...
b) more expensive than PCI-E even though slower...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
An interesting question, the answer to which I have not a clue...

As Mucks pointed out, you can still buy a PCI card.

As for Chris assuming future AGP cards will be dearer and slower, dunno, the current range of PCI cards are about the same price, and they're only slower because of the bus they have to use.

So I'd predict: They will be available for some considerable time yet; the only reason they will be slower is because sli is faster than AGP; and they'll probably cost about the same as it costs the manufacturer about the same to make them.

I must admit I am surprised there are still so many PCI cards about, I suppose there must still be a market for them.

Much the same way, perhaps, that there will still be a market for AGP cards in 2009.

Whether new design cards will still be available in AGP format, we'll have to wait and see, but my guess is that we'll see at least a couple of cards in AGP format to surpass the current top two contenders before manufacturers go over to sli completely for new models.

Ask a Question