Graphics Card Upgrade - Help Plz

Reaction score
hey all, new here so be nice!

i'm running Vista x64, intel quad core, 4gb ram blah blah blah.

i currently have an NVIDIA 1gb 8500GT SLi grafix card, and am looking to upgrade. do a lot of gaming, call of duty W@W really struggled on this card, even turning all the settings down so gonna surf for a better one. I'd like some advice on a decent card, don't want to be inundated with fact and figures, don't want ATI, not worried about overclocking. must be able to run COD W@W and Far Cry 2 decently, obviously needs to work with x64. Have a thermaltake case so lots of room. Don't want it to sound like a jumbo jet.

i have narrowed it down to a choice of 3, money being tight.....

Zotac GTS250 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card (5 year warranty) £82

Zotac 9600GSO 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card £55 (5 yr warranty)

XFX 9600GSO 1536MB DDR2 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card including Far Cry 2 game - £73.98

Zotac 9800GT ECO Edition 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card £79.99 (5 yr warranty)

any help here would be good, also if someone can find it cheaper or suggest a better spec, staying in the £80 prive bracket?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The first one on your list, the GTS250.

It has the fastest core and memory speeds.

Bear in mind that both Zotac and XFX are budget manufacturers.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Bear in mind that both Zotac and XFX are budget manufacturers.

cheers, may be budget manufacturers but you won't get many cards with a five year warranty ;-0

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
liquidstool said:
actually, how much better are these cards against my existing Nvidia 8500GT 1gb?

Your card:

Core: 450Mhz
Pipes: 8
Memory: 400Mhz
RAM: 1Gb DDR2 128 Bit

GTS250:

Core: 738Mhz
Pipes: 16
Memory: 1100Mhz
RAM: 512Mb DDR3 256 Bit

You figure it out ;)

Lots of video cards carry a five year warranty, all the BFG range for starters, but it is not so common in the cheapie range I'll grant you.

You'll probably get about £20.00 for your old card on E-Bay as well, if that's your thing.

Reaction score
BFG cards carry a 10 year warranty on their cards in the UK. In the US
and Canada, they offer a lifetime warranty. You need to register the card with BFG then the warranty starts with them.

Hope this helps

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd save up and get a 260. By the time you have saved up a few more quids the price will have dropped a little and you will get much better gaming.

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/nvidia/asus_geforce_gts_250_page2.htm

happywave.gif

Ask a Question