AGP X8 or PCI-E X16( X4 Mode only) ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Which of the two above would be best for games .

I have a AGP card for this system but with low end PCI-E cards so cheap was thinking of up grading . From a FX5600 256mb agp to a X800 GT All In Wonder 128mb PCI-E . I know the X800 is the better card but will it be loads better than the FX5600 as its running at the X4 mode .

:blush::confused:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well since you have a AGP card in your system, that mean you would have to upgrade your motherboard to one that supports PCI-E. Im sure you can find the same card (X800) in AGP form somewhere
PCI-E is and updated version of PCI-X
:D

Reaction score
AGP 8X and 4X have pretty much no difference except for the lower voltage of the 8X. Performance wise you gain little from 8x over 4x.

I'm confused. So are both these cards AGP? Or are you planning to upgrade your motherboard to accomodate the x800 on PCI-E?

If they are both AGP and your asking about the cards, as I have said AGP 4x is no different performance wise to 8x, and the X800 is FAR superior to the 5600 :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have heard the opposite potguy, 4x to 8x is a big performance difference

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sorry I only gave half the info . I have here a Asus mobo ,

P4V800D-X
Only VGA solution for AGP8X and PCI-E Intel FSB800 and Hyper-Threading Technology
Dual-Channel DDR400
AGP8X/PCI-E Dual-VGA interface Support
RAID 0,1,JBOD
Serial ATA
10/100 Ethernet
8 Port USB 2.0
Expansion Slots

1 x AGP 8X
1 x PCI Express x16 (x4 mode only)
3 x PCI​

So if you had two cards that were the same except for the slot type which would be the better performer the AGP or the PCI-E .

I read me original post and had a hard time understanding it .:confused:

That X 800 GT I mentioned is only £30.00 + postage . I could probably get £15 to £20 for the FX 5600 on e-bay .

:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well since you have a choice, i would still go for AGP at 8X
unless you plan on upgrading in the future, so if you get a PCI-E now... it will be usable then as well

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PG is correct ... it was common practice to "improve" performance & stability and run your AGP 8x @ 4x

PCI-E v AGP ... LoL, numbers numbers numbers ... check the BUS, not the card. ;)

Abarbarian, your MB is a *******ise solution ...

PCI-Express, SATA and DDR2 were not chosen as future PC standards for their immediate advantages, but for their open-ended architecture, which opens up avenues of development that will eventually lead to much better performance than AGP/EIDE systems.
... a quote from 2005, we are now seeing this to be true ... 2007

user.gif

Ask a Question