Wifi mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can anyone resolve a bit of a wifi mystery my sister is having, please?

Since January 6th her Talk Talk Broadband keeps cutting out regularly around 10 am for the rest of the day. Early morning it is fine.
My sister lives on the Isle of Wight.

An engineer came a few days ago and it even flummoxed him. He discovered a problem with the open reach box which he replaced and replaced the router but the wifi still jumps out mid-morning.

Can anyone advise, please?
TIA

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Does she switch her PC off overnight and then switch it back on every morning? If so, it could be that it is initially fine every morning but has overheated by mid morning and problems arrive. She needs to download one of the free CPU temperature monitors (Core Temp or Speedfan) which might indicate that one of the cooling fans has broken down.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is it the WiFi thats dropping or the whole connection? My first guess would be some kind of interference (REIN?) on the line.

Reaction score
Is it the WiFi thats dropping or the whole connection? My first guess would be some kind of interference (REIN?) on the line.
The whole connection. Nothing on the Smart TV either

Reaction score
Damaged external cables? Intermittent connection due to weather?
Bad workman ship at the cabinet?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dial 17070, option 2, you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband. That's right, BT Faults, not TalkTalk.

Reaction score
There was a feature on a consumer program in Wales (Xray I believe) where the whole villages wifi went down at approximately the same time every morning and it transpires an elderly couple had bought a second hand TV and they where switching it on every morning to watch GMTV but as it was faulty it was knocking out the wifi for the whole village.

Reaction score

Since January 6th her Talk Talk Broadband keeps cutting out regularly around 10 am for the rest of the day. Early morning it is fine.

An engineer came a few days ago and it even flummoxed him. He discovered a problem with the open reach box which he replaced and replaced the router but the wifi still jumps out mid-morning.

TIA

Sorry - can't help but this is very interesting.

I live in Dundee and since the same time I am having difficulty connecting to the TalkTalk mail login on both my laptop and phone . I can only occasionally connect in the evening. Up till now it has been fine. So its not only my home WiFi its my phone as well.

James Kirk

Reaction score
Thanks, Guys. It transpired that TT updated the software for their routers without telling their customers. Unfortunately, the update was not compatible with their old routers and my sister had one of them. She now has a new router which is fine.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score

TIA

Hi all, within this thread a couple of weeks ago there was a post about providers purposely 'throttling' their own connections so you upgrade, and a solution. I cant find it now, any ideas please.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hi all, within this thread a couple of weeks ago there was a post about providers purposely 'throttling' their own connections so you upgrade, and a solution. I cant find it now, any ideas please.
In most cases, the throttling of an internet connection is legal. One common reason that data is throttled is due to excess use on a plan with a data cap. ... Despite the repeal of these protections, ISPs generally still have to inform customers when they throttle data.

"Sky's Broadband and Fibre products are not subject to traffic management. ... This means we won't reduce your speed at any time, regardless of how much you upload or download."

:)

Reaction score
In most cases, the throttling of an internet connection is legal. One common reason that data is throttled is due to excess use on a plan with a data cap. ... Despite the repeal of these protections, ISPs generally still have to inform customers when they throttle data.

"Sky's Broadband and Fibre products are not subject to traffic management. ... This means we won't reduce your speed at any time, regardless of how much you upload or download."

:)
cheers!

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your replies. It has been resolved with the installation of a different model of router. Apparently, the old one was not compatible with a software upgrade that Talk Talk installed without telling their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question