why the acf faq CANNOT work for the acf webring (or any similiar webring)

Dewey Edwards

[Crossposting to ACFG removed from my reply]

Count mine as a NO vote.

No qualms with a statement basically saying that any use of the term
"ACF" which implies, or states, an endorsement by ACF, without prior
group approval, is to be considered a hijacking of the group name.

No qualms listing known hijackers either.

I just don't want this cluttering up the PL site. Put it in the FAQ,
the weekly FAQ postings, or almost anywhere but the PL area.
Header changed to reflect appropriate content.

Good idea.

Andy Mabbett

In message said:
Well if you continue to use this NGs name then the least you should do
is abide by its FAQ/

Nobody has to abide by a FAQ (particularly a version written as an
expression of one person's PoV).

This group has none.

This group has none.
And IMO you should have asked if this group wanted and would support a
webring before starting one.

It seems to me that there should be two webrings - one which anyone
whose software is "pricelessware" is entitled to join (from the home
page for that application); and another for "fans of ACF" who may wish
to participate.

That said, anyone is free to set up a webring called ACF or
alt.comp.freeware, for whatever purposes. No one owns the name.

Aaron

[Crossposting to ACFG removed from my reply]

Count mine as a NO vote.

Same here. No.
I just don't want this cluttering up the PL site. Put it in the FAQ,
the weekly FAQ postings, or almost anywhere but the PL area.

What he said.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

Andy Mabbett

In message <r%[email protected]>,
Bobby said:
Can Susan or Genna put up a disclaimer on the pricelessware stie that
would dis-accoiate A.C.F. from this stupid webring?

They could do, but not with any authority.

They could, with authority, put up a disclaimer, disassociating their
Pricelessware site, but that's all.

Andy Mabbett

In message <[email protected]>, Q

I have, one again, removed 8-biut characters from your "tag", in my
attribution. Usenet is a 7-bit medium.

If rtdos (or anyone else) tries to start a webring using the
Pricelessware name, then pricelessware.org should object.

Why, do they own a registered trademark?

Andy Mabbett

Blinky the said:
Here, too.

Of course, this is the second vote. The first was apparently not
noticed...

This isn't a vote, it's a straw- poll, buried in a thread which many
will already have killed.

Andy Mabbett

Dewey Edwards said:
No qualms with a statement basically saying that any use of the term
"ACF" which implies, or states, an endorsement by ACF

There can be no endorsement by ACF.
, without prior group approval,

There can be no such approval. (If you think there could be, how do you
think it could be given?)
is to be considered a hijacking of the group name.

No qualms listing known hijackers either.

There is, and can be, no such hijacking.

Henk de Jong

Blinky the Shark wrote: [snip]
Pricelessware is, and is billed as, a creation of ACF. For
Pricelessware to maintain that connection and not be tainted
by the rogue webring, by association, as AFC itself will be,
it has to be made very clear on the site that the webring
*is* rogue. As well as in the real ACF FAQ, down under.

Since you ask - IMO putting such a notice on the PL site is a
decision to be made by ACF newsgroup participants.

AFAIK there is no consensus for this action as yet.

If the group decides that it *should* be done it *will* be
done.

Susan

I agree.

Me too

Steve H

This isn't a vote, it's a straw- poll, buried in a thread which many
will already have killed.

Remarkable - you're often quick to point out that others cannot speak
for the group, and yet here you attest that 'many will have already
killed' the said thread.

How do you know?

Are you just guessing, or are you a liar...which is it to be?

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

As a participant, I believe that anything that the PL site can do to
disassociate itself from the webring (As it now stands) should be done.
If on the other hand only current clique members get a
vote....nevermind. ;)
--
Jack

SB> Since you ask - IMO putting such a notice on the PL site is a
SB> decision to be made by ACF newsgroup participants.

SB> AFAIK there is no consensus for this action as yet.

SB> If the group decides that it *should* be done it *will* be done.

Susan Bugher

Blinky said:
Of course, this is the second vote. The first was apparently not
noticed...

try 5 . . .

In my case apparently that's true - it seems my normal newsgroup feed is
not totally reliable at the moment. I have found two posts that I had
not seen - one was the post from Bobby that you responded to.

I have now read back up several threads in Google and CIS.DFN.DE. I
*still* have not been able to find the vote you refer too. What came
before the post from Bobby. Could you please post the Headers or a
Google link? TIA.

Susan
--
Pricelessware: http:www.pricelessware.org
PL2003: http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
try 5 . . .

Sucess, I *think*. I recently switched to Mozilla (1.5). Hadn't gotten
around to adding CIS.DFN.DE - did that last night to try to track down
the missing posts in this thread.

When I tried to send a post this morning - not through CIS.DFN.DE - I
was prompted for a password and then the post was rejected . . .

I REMOVED CIS.DFN.DE - it appears that was the problem . . .

rats and phooey!

Susan
--
Pricelessware: http:www.pricelessware.org
PL2003: http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm
PL2004 Review: http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/2004nominationsPL.php
alt.comp.freeware FAQ (short) - maintained by John F.
http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html

Harvey Van Sickle

try 5 . . .

Sucess, I *think*. I recently switched to Mozilla (1.5). Hadn't
gotten around to adding CIS.DFN.DE - did that last night to try to
track down the missing posts in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Now you're back on track -- add my vote for "putting a disclaimer up".

Susan Bugher

Harvey said:
On 01 Nov 2003, Susan Bugher wrote

Now you're back on track <snip>

I wish - I haven't found the earlier vote that Blinky referred to - and
I was planning to use CIS.DFN.DE to make sure I didn't miss new posts.

Here is a scorecard based on what I *did* find - please post any
revisions that are needed:

Could someone also suggest the proper wording for a disclaimer?

---------

Bobby said:
Can Susan or Genna put up a disclaimer on the pricelessware stie
that would dis-accoiate A.C.F. from this stupid webring?

---------

Pro:

Bobby <[email protected]>
Blinky the Shark <[email protected]>
Tiger <[email protected]>
Owen <[email protected]>
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <"jackru$$ell2"@notmail.com>

Con:
»Q« <[email protected]>
Dewey Edwards <[email protected]>
Aaron <[email protected]>

----------

Susan
--
Pricelessware: http:www.pricelessware.org
PL2003: http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm
PL2004 Review: http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/2004nominationsPL.php
alt.comp.freeware FAQ (short) - maintained by John F.
http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html

omega

Susan Bugher said:

How many hits does Pricelessware get per week?

Remember that "negative publicity is good publicity." A small moth
that could otherwise just die off on its own, might become fed and
vitalized * -- due to its mention on the P page.

I'd say at least consider placing the disclaimer where it's not an
obvious link for visitors (who would then get curiosity piqued, and
go grant hits to the rtdos ring). Something like a non-linked page,
together with briefing the search engines well.

*(parasitical sustenance)

John Fitzsimons

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Since you ask - IMO putting such a notice on the PL site is a decision
to be made by ACF newsgroup participants.

ANY publicity for that ring is too much publicity. I will not be
mentioning it in the FAQ. Ignore it.

< snip >

John Fitzsimons

I notice that rtdos has passed through the group, srating at least
one new thread and responding to some posts but not to these two of
yours and mine, and he apparently intends to keep using the a.c.f
name for the webring.
Sietse's idea, posted in
<is looking more and
more to me like a very good option to warn people it's not worth a
visit and to warn webmasters that it's a bad idea to join that ring.

That would only give his ring publicity. A better idea would be to
cease discussing it here totally. Anyone asking about it here will
soon be "put right" by the "regulars".