Why does PC need to 'warm up' before boot?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a puzzling problem with my dad's PC.

It's an Evesham with an asus a27266 motherboard and for the last few months it has needed a warm up period before it will boot.

When 1st powered on the fans start, HD powers up but screen is blank. Resets will have no affect for about 15-20 minutes, and then after a certain point if you reset or turn off/on the PC will boot up as normal. There will then be no problems rebooting.

I wondered if the PSU was faulty, or just not powerful enough so I tried the antec 450w PSU out of my PC and a spare 400w supply I have but this made no difference. I also swapped out the GPU in case that was the problem and again no change. interestingly after testing with my antec PSU and swapping back to the original PSU the PC again needed a 10-15m warm up.

It's a strange problem, and I can't google any similar issues so I'm stumped. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Martin

Reaction score
Unless the tower is producing irregular or erratic beeps, it could be a problem with the monitor itself. Does the monitor show any signs of life when it decides not to work?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, good one ... but I have had a similar 'problem' on a PC I had to class as "beyond economical repair" as it was the 'generic' MB.

Not saying you have the same problem, but the only real way of determining such diagnostics is to replace the bits-n-bobs in the PC with known working alternatives.

I would start by disabling, by removing the power to, the HD, CD & pull out any other non essential cards. Especially remove anything USB. :thumb:

I can't find that MB listed, not unusual, Asus produce many OEM MBs ... but can you give me any more info on what the PC is / has ?

:user:

Ask a Question