Why do INtel procs OC so well?

Reaction score
Despite my allegiances to AMD, i`m being tempted by a Gigabyte GA-8IPE775 board (AGP, DDR1 compatable) with, obviously an LGA775 Proc on it. I know nothing about how an Intel clock speed is generated, but I know the core FSB is multiplied by 4. Then what?

Why is it so much easier to OC these than AMD chips? I read a review in CustomPC where they took one of these mobos, with an Intel 540 Proc @3.2GHz and OC`d it to 3.85 with air cooling. The performance increase was pretty damn good, obviously. What changes are made between Intel Procs to give them their different speeds?

-> I know its not the OC Hz increase that counts, but the amount the Proc has to be increased by to get a performance boost.

Cheers... Kenny

P.S.... the answers to this may sway me to a Pentium computer.... Then I would have to retract some of the things i`ve said over the past year, and that should make for a massive helping of humble pie. yuck.....:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
NForce4 is way more expensive... would have to get a new GPU as well. Realistically, the best performance increase per pound spent for me seems to be either an AMD 754 (3100+) with an Abit KV8Pro OR this Intel set-up, although I admit, Nforce4 with SLI is prob more "future-proof"

Reaction score
5 month wait?? You obviously dont know me.

Though I can see that NForce4 prices will drop in that time.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
chris is right, dont buy anything expensive until about march when all the prices drop

Reaction score
you my think intel are better for overclocking, but then the AMD Athlon FX55 (Socket 939) comes into the equasion making a record breaking 11.2ghz clock speed, liquid nitrogen works wonders, and puts your bank balance into the red :)

Reaction score
Im sure the equivalent Intel (well the one nearest to it) would do just the same, if not better with the right PSU, RAM and Motherboard.

-96 degrees celcius leaves alot of Overclocking potential...

Reaction score
yeah thats what i thought chris but this list showed intel's aswell, none were even near the topspot of between 9-10ghz

Kye

Reaction score
AMD processors do alot more in a clock cycle then intels.

so, 100mhz for a AMD will take 200mhz for a intel too catch up. mind you, that is a very, very bad estimate and dont take that too heart. but, it works the same.

Reaction score
BUT

its chip dependant

just because ONE FX55 got that high, dosent mean they all will... in another test, the intel could hit higher speeds leaving the FX55 in the dust

Reaction score
but it isnt there chris, untill you find the documentation im gonna stand my ground, sorry thats just me.

Reaction score
LN is... a bit over the top. I`m happy with the idea of water-cooling, and to a lesser extent, i think i understand installing a phase-change, but my air-cooled OC`s are pretty good. especially for the money

Ask a Question