Windows 10 Who's using Windows 10?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any other people here trying Windows 10? I've got it installed on a test machine running ESXi... so far so good.

It's how I imagine Windows 8 should have been! I'm still not keen on some of the UI and would rather that all of the touch apps could be disabled when using a desktop version - it seems silly searching for something on the start menu, i.e. "Windows Update" only to have 2 versions appear and not knowing which is which.

I do like some of the under the hood improvements though, especially with newer hardware. I'll be upgrading once it's released I'm sure :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've still not tried it, kind awant to though. Will probably update to it when its out.

As for skipping 9, I like this reason...

Second, someone purporting to be a Microsoft developer posted this comment on Reddit:

Reddit comment explaining why Windows 9 was skipped

windows-10-skipped-9-reddit-95.jpg

As stupid/amazing as this sounds, it is actually quite feasible that there are still a lot of legacy Desktop apps that use this method (or something similar) to check for Windows 95 or 98. Bear in mind that this is just an example piece of code — some developers will check for the OS name (“Windows…”), some will check for the version number (as discussed in the previous section of this story), and some might use other methods entirely to find out what OS the app is running on.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

Reaction score
I am very happy with the way W10 is going. At first I disliked the way the Desktop was sort of dorced back on everyone because Microsoft caved in to public pressure from those who want to cling to the "what will be" old-fashioned methodology of W7 (something nobody on 2050 will ever remember or know about perhaps).
The age of the "Modern desktop" (No desktop?) is about to be born, and W10 is the embryo.
I can't wait until its release ( and I love itys phone version as well) :thumb:

Reaction score
I bought up to Windows 8 pro on 3 pc's and had so much frustration that I said never again and reinstalled 7 again so that was a weekend lost for ever.. Tried the Windows 10'preview build and find it faster than 7!and all seems logical again to me so I might..just might try again. As it is free helps but Microsoft banked on that of course..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought up to Windows 8 pro on 3 pc's and had so much frustration that I said never again and reinstalled 7 again so that was a weekend lost for ever.. Tried the Windows 10'preview build and find it faster than 7!and all seems logical again to me so I might..just might try again. As it is free helps but Microsoft banked on that of course..

I think there may be millions of others who did the same thing - I only know a handful of Windows 8 users to this day!

Glad you're liking the Windows 10 preview :)

Reaction score
Current incarnation ie the build seems really cool. I'm waiting for the final release to come through.

Reaction score
I am also looking forward to W10 especially as it is going to be FREE, I also wonder what add on's will cost such as Office as Microsoft don't do freebies without having a a squint at their bank balance first.

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Enjoying the Preview as of 10074. The previous builds were a bit too quirky for me, but now it seems to be stable and functional enough to be a daily driver even. Very few real issues aside from minor UI bugs. I think the new Mail app is a big improvement (although still not as full-featured as Outlook Express or Live Mail). What particularly impressed me was that it included iCloud as one of the account options to make it easier for us iCloud users to set up our accounts.

Reaction score
I bet it will be free for the first year and thereafter Microsoft will have a anual fee like they do with Office 365:cry:, in which case I will be going over to Linux post haste:wave::user:

Ask a Question