While looking at Article ID 307654 and 900871, I get an error about hpt3xx.sys missing and Recovery

Cymbal Man Freq.

I have a dual boot situation with Win Me on C: and Win XP on the D: (and 2nd
HDD). I followed the instructions in Article ID 900871 (How to integrate Win
XP SP2 files into the Windows XP installation folder), then I burned the
XPCD folder onto CD-R. I ran the CD-R as instructed in article 307654 and
during the Setup of the Recovery Console, it said "File Copy Error: an error
occurred copying file hpt3xx.sys to C:\$Win_NT$.~BT\hpt3xx.sys
The file is missing. Contact your system administrator."

So I told it to skip the file and a few moments later as the progress bar
proceeded across the screen indicating more installation was occurring, I
got a message saying "Windows Recovery Console has been successfully
installed." So I reboot and the Windows Recovery option is in the startup
menu, along with Windows XP and Windows (ME), so I go to the Reovery Console
but I get an error message about hpt3xx.sys is missing or corrupt and then
to press any key because the Recovery Console startup failed.

I'm guessing this hpt3xx.sys is a driver. Since I dual boot, there is
probably no C:\$WIN_NT$~BT folder on my computer....
How might I fix this dual boot incompatibility?

Cymbal Man Freq.

Here's my boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

David Candy

What has this to do with your faulty CD.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
What has this to do with your faulty CD.

I'm not sure if that is an answer of an ill-informed assumption. ?

Glen

Make a new slipstream disc. Sometimes when you make them a file wont get
read/written properly. I've made several over time and the problem you have
crops up from time to time.

Glen P

Cymbal Man Freq. said:
[...]

There was an hpt3xx.sys file on my machine, but it wasn't in the
"C:\Windows\cmdcons" folder, which is a hidden system folder. I had to go to
Tools in My Computer and unhide hidden folders and files and also unhide
hidden operating system files in order to find the cmdcons folder.

Now the Recovery Console works. How do I change the default password for
entering the console?

Rock

Cymbal said:
There was an hpt3xx.sys file on my machine, but it wasn't in the
"C:\Windows\cmdcons" folder, which is a hidden system folder. I had to go to
Tools in My Computer and unhide hidden folders and files and also unhide
hidden operating system files in order to find the cmdcons folder.

Now the Recovery Console works. How do I change the default password for
entering the console?

To use the recovery console requires the password for the built in
Administrator account. Change the password for that account.