Which of the computing giants do you prefer?

Which of the computing giants do you prefer?

• Microsoft

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Google

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • IBM

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Intel

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • AMD

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Apple

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Another problem with this poll is that those who already voted had a different list, if they want to change they cannot, so, it would be biased anyway :)

Reaction score
Some of my favourite computing giants and manufacturers are AMD, Asus, Nvidia, Creative, Sony (for Moniters etc) and Coolermaster

Reaction score
Personally i like AMD because they (usually) make more efficient processors. Also ATi is better than nVidia because a) they are canadian, and so say an 'a' after each word which is good and b) my geforce 4 packed up on me in the middle of the last level of wolfenstein and i am NEVER forgiving them >:-(

oh yeah microsoft and apple both suck.

Thermaltake, logitech and asus are also great.

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I quite like Google - they strike me as a good company to work for :)

Reaction score
Rock beats scissors, AMD beats Intel.

The ONLY people who prefere Intel to AMD are either

1) Biased because they bought an intel machine, or
2) Are living in the past, man!

Intel were notorious for ripping people off with their prices, and monopolising the market by paying off chain stores to only stock Intel PC's. Granted, this time 3-4 years ago AMD were making lesser processors, but at least it they were CHEAP processors - the student, gamer, and overclocker friendly processors. Now, on the other hand, nothing Intel are producing really compares to the Athlon 64, and AMD are starting to really dominate the market. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!......

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. I think there are different conceptions of "Computer Giants"

In terms of cpu technology, its between Intel and AMD. Intel forces Dell and Gateway and other huge contractors to specifically not carry AMD. Intel tries, succesfully, to make AMD look like a new comer to the computer chip market, thereby stigmatizing it as untrustworthy, and iffy. But AMD has been around for a bit now and is delivering reliable, affordable solutions. Its game performance rocks. Its architecture is intiuitive. It's forcing other hardware vendors to take advantage of its chip. Its responsible for the rush of OC and modding. While Intel represents "Stability and Performance," AMD represents "Potential and Power." I think nowadays, companies that embrace that sort of forward thinking, challenge everything, attitude should be commended. So while I've got a lot of love for Intel, I feel like its about time that AMD was allowed to break into the mainstream and push the envolope of technology further.

So in the Intel Vs. AMD debate, my vote is for AMD.

In the OS battle, there is microsoft and linux and unix. Obviously I love linux for the same reasons I love AMD. I especially love Linux for how far its come and how much work in the right direction it has made (in terms of GUI, ease-of-installation, reliability, and intergration). I hate Apple. There I said. Apple sucks. Those computers are expensive and proprietary. Now the argument works like this. People claim Apple is stable. Well, first of all, I think a well configured XP Pro machine is also stable. More to the point though, its easy for Apple to be so stable when they are working with specific hardware and configurations. My installation of Windows can run with a top of the line pci-expresss ATI Radeon 850 that I bought from newegg.com or it can work with an old PCI Ati Rage card. An apple requires an apple version of the card (does that exist?). Its just easier to make an OS stable when you have a limited amount of configurations. Try playing a game on an apple. Good luck, cause most modern games don't exist for macs. Why would you use a mac to develop graphics when PC graphic cards are years ahead...Try overclocking a mac. I'd love apple if I could install their cool looking OS onto my PC, but then it wouldn't be so stable would it? Apple would have to deal with hardware vendors providing ****ty drivers, just like MS does...and then where they would be? Your 3k cool looking, virgin white G5 is suddenly a paperweight. So perhaps Apple should get out of the "you can only use apple with apple on apple" mentality and start providing real solutions to people who want a real computer, not a really cool calculator and word processor. I love steve jobs, just apple in terms of an OS is so stupid. So its between linux and ms...and I guess I love that MS unified the destkop. Its just a balsy, needed-to-happen move. Yes, a lot of stupid bad things happened on the way, but nowadays, ms is doing some great stuff (Speech Server, .Net 2.0), and let's give them props.

Microsoft gets my vote vs linux. Apple should get out of the os market (or start developing a real OS - I'm going to get flammed so hard for that...).

IBM makes good notebooks. Congratulations IBM. Oh you make servers too? So do I. You provide business solutions? So do I. Tell me, exactly how far up your ass is your head if you went from being one of the most respected IT providers to the best notebook provider. I can't wait for you to get bought out.

Google. There's just so much to say there, let's leave it as a good thing, but I mean, who knows where google is going? We might soon hate them.

So that's my post.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tomsega: yep, that's about right, imo :)

Aviflombaum: A well written observation, I agree with all you've said about 95%

Where I differ is choosing MS over Linux which is perhaps contradictory of me or maybe even a paradox as I use MS as my main OS. But from all I read and observe across various forums, I'd prefer Linux.

But.

I would use Linux full time if I had the time and patience to really learn it, if they had better driver support and most of all, if I could play latest games on Mepis, Suse, Mandriva whatever. I know about Cedega, but it won't handle all games, Dungeon Siege being but one example.

All in all though, good post, thanks for your input :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And another thing..... I was thinking, lol

At this Forum we have a lot of guys using Intel based systems yet to the best of my knowledge not a one of them ever starts shouting about how much better Intel chips are over AMD cpu's.

I'm just talking about this particular forum of course, but it seems to me all our Intel guys do recognise both manufacturer's for what they are.

Intel ain't all bad, not at all, hyper threading is a good thing and latest family of Intel overclock well. I recently swapped out me mate's hard disk in his Asus/Pentium 3Ghz system and I was really quite impressed by it's speed, to be honest.

So, it's good to get a balance on things and always, always, question and seek out facts. And one fact is that CPU speed ain't everything, but I digress ;)

My goodness, I never ever thought I'd come out and defend a Pentium chip :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got an Intel, and I've had an Intel chip for the last 5-ish years, before that only 2 AMD CPUs, and before those Intels once more. AviFlombaum, I couldn't agree more with : While Intel represents "Stability and Performance," AMD represents "Potential and Power."

I think those of us that remember Cyrix may have thought of AMD's as second rate along time ago. However, since the K series I have regarded AMD as an equal. The old Athlon's and Duron's were second to none, and I feel that Intel have been playing catchup since that time to the enthusiast market.

I have dual Xeons in the 2 servers that power the site, simply because that is all I can find from large server/hosting companies. They are reliable, fast and powerful - and most importantly proven.

If I could design any system I wanted for myself, I'd have an AMD in there - likewise if I was building a budget system for a friend. I only have an Intel P4 through co-incidence (a cheap off the shelf PC at the time :eek:), however I am impressed with HT as it does make a big difference.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I guess I’m motivated to clear up and elaborate on what I said, seeing as people are thinking about it so critically.

The Apple vs. Microsoft:
This argument should really be named, the PC vs. the Mac. Trying to compare Windows to Mac OS is like trying to compare peas and carrots. Or more specifically, Jack and the Beanstalk type peas, and carrots. You can choose a scalable, upgradeable, compatible, and accepted solution, a PC, or a Mac. Anyone in this industry should immediately realize that there are no good reasons left for owning a Mac today. Five years ago, some, ten years ago, a lot, fifteen years ago, the argument is the exact opposite. Windows XP Professional was such a tremendous leap in features and stability and the new Mac OS was what? As much as I love bitching about standard compliance in Internet Explorer, proprietary software distribution like Windows Media Player, with every update and release, these issues do go away, if not always in a timely fashion. And the Windows Server System is just so cool. It is, I promise. Yes, Linux rocks for certain obvious server solutions, but Speech Server? Have you seen that? It’s nuts and I’ll talk all about it as I continue with the real argument, Windows or Linux (not Microsoft or Linux, because I can own an Xbox and run a Linux environment).

Windows vs. Linux:
Are we talking desktop or server, network or personal usage? Personal Desktop: Windows. Come on… Network Desktop: Windows. If you can provide your users with a work environment on a Linux desktop, say if all jobs could be accomplished through a web browser so that the only application your users needed was a web browser, sure use Linux. I mean if you can save that kind of money on licensing and hardware, you’d be in line for some serious ass-kissing from your boss. But try it and you’ll see users complain about not being able to use Office, install applications easily, chat with their friends on Yahoo! or AIM… And that’s if they can even navigate the GUI, I mean if any of your users are over fifty, good luck making that work. Server: It depends. What do you want to do? Use .Net? Windows. Use PHP? Linux. Use IIS? Windows. Use Apache? Linux. Use Active Directory? Windows. I mean see…However, I must say from experience, if you do decide to run an entirely Windows based environment, you should definitely invest in one or two Linux servers to be placed in watchdog positions. It’s just a no-brainer.

Intel vs. AMD:
Intel is awesome for all the reasons mentioned. It’s awesome in general. But whose got my love? AMD! They are doing more with less and I’m just a sucker for that. They have managed, through hard work and great products, to carve a niche for themselves in a shrinking market. Their only clients are people who don’t buy from Gateway or Dell or the other Intel lackies. And of those people, AMD is becoming the choice processor. And we all know that those people, their the owns who know what’s up. As exciting as Hyper-Threading and E64 architecture is, it just doesn’t get me as revved up as mobile 64bit technology, and well, basically, everything AMD does from the release of the XP line to the promise of the next generation Operton. Intel is for a specific purpose, I trust the Xeon to go into my servers and provide my company with reliability well after I’m gone. But when I want to impress my friends with a frame-rate, I’m not booting up my P4, are you? So keep on keeping on AMD. And Intel, stop being so scared of AMD.

The Internet:
Internet corporations are just being born. Google, eBay, Yahoo!, the sizes of these behomoths are going to revolutionize economics. And poor economists, they don’t even know it…Yahoo! sent a news reporter to Iraq a few weeks ago, what is it going to mean to the world when more people are watching election coverage on Yahoo! then on T.V How many candidates for presidency will get a fair chance to speak to the public then? Realize that Ralph Nader is banned from entering the presidential debates, and not as a candidate, but as a citizen. A two party system guarantees an obvious winner, but if the last three elections have taught me anything, its that sometimes, even a winner can be a ****ing idiot. So who do I like right now in the internet? Well right now I don’t think any company is doing anything quite right, they are just beginning the realize the potential of the medium. eBay is actually in front of that race, buying Skype was the best idea ever. They are going to utilize peer-2-peer technology to power their auctions. Imagine if every auction’s data was distributed in the p2p model instead of the server/client model. eBay would be able to differ a huge amount of its infrastructure and bandwidth costs onto the user. I doubt VoIP had anything to do with the purchase, they wanted the brains behind KaZaa, the brains behind JoltID, the brains behind the only company to make peer-2-peer a profitable technology. Other’s will follow, but by then, eBay will have the entire worlds marketplace. Good luck amazon.com. And then yeah, Google is awesome, but honestly, Pagerank kind blows at this point. SEO experts can trick it, I find myself back in the place I was five years ago, on page six of my search results finally finding what I was looking for. So get with it Google, Pagerank sucks, start searching metadata, rss, xml, tags, on sites, take a page from bloggers, there is more information in the information about information then in the information itself. The companies I think use technology best are generally consulting firms. And not the big ones, once again, IBM sucks, but the small ones. Happy Cog, run by the guy most responsible for the Web Standard revolution? Adaptive Path, founded by the guy who saw the potential in javascript and XML to define AJAX? Yeah, they ****ing rock.

So yeah, enjoy.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A very interesting read and viewpoint there AviFlombaum, as someone else who's interested in web dev/SEO etc... I found it particularly poignant :)

AviFlombaum said:
Internet corporations are just being born. Google, eBay, Yahoo!, the sizes of these behomoths are going to revolutionize economics. And poor economists, they don’t even know it…

This is going to be fascinating when companies with no "stock" as such are even more important than they currently are... information = power.

I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on Speech Server in a different thread, as I don't have a clue what it is yet - and it sounds as if I should!

Reaction score
i admired apple for their architecture and innovation, however in recent years this has simply dried up. The last major innovation was the original imac (those crt screens with the different coloured casings), which i had and was just soooooo cool, but that was back in about 1998/9 i think. Now however they have priced themselves out of the market because of a 'super cool' image, as wel as having all the compatability and scalability disadvantages of the past

Reaction score
I would have said google, but I dislike what they're doing at the moment, shying away from promoting open office yet convinicing Sun to try and sneak a google toolbar on peoples machines with Java installations.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Best poll ever. I read the first page and never laughed so much.
laughingsmiley.gif

AMD get my vote as they are trying to make pc parts swapable so that folk can upgrade in stages if they want to instead of having to upgrade all the components at once. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Best poll ever. I read the first page and never laughed so much.
laughingsmiley.gif

AMD get my vote as they are trying to make pc parts swapable so that folk can upgrade in stages if they want to instead of having to upgrade all the components at once. :)

True dat.

I've been an AMD fan ever since my second build yonks ago and my LGA775 socket build 4 years ago was my first foray into Intel, simply because it was a really good cpu platform at a reasonable price.

It's equivalent from the same time period which I own (a dualie 3.2Ghz AMD Black Edition thingie. matches the 6600 2.6Ghz in most every way.

In fact the AMD positively flies in Linux.

But, ya know, that i7 is very desirable... ;)

Ask a Question