Which Memory?

Kye

Reaction score
but lets say i could overclock, how can higher bandwidth memory benifit me if its already clocked alot higher? ill go google for an article :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I would prefer slower and reliable than faster and question mark :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
I would prefer slower and reliable than faster and question mark :D
Precisely :thumb: That's why I've mostly used Crucial over the last couple of years. Reliable, steady stuff. It will actually overclock to a fair degree as well, in my experience.

However, I must admit I got kinda fed up overclocking, never really noticed much of a difference in real terms going from 2.2Ghz to just short of 2.4Ghz. And then of course there's the heat penalty.

Nothing, for me, was as good as unlocking the multiplier by joining the L1 bridges with some PCB paint on my 800Mhz Duron and getting 1.1Ghz out of it. And it ran stable. Ah, heady days indeed :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I also tried overclocking long long time ago with the P3V4x mobo (one of the best overclocking board at that time) but was not impressed in terms of speed vs heat the ratio always tilted towards the heating part of it. Besides, talk about aging of components and things becoming unreliable. I never went that route again. Now when I feel the speed is slow I simply upgrade.

I have yet to come across anyone overclocking for word processing, browsing and chatting :D

Reaction score
actually overclocking gets me about 700 3DMark03 points...

and speeds up everything

and i dont even need to worry about heat - CPU set to shut down at 65 warn me at 60, thats never happened at 3.1GHz

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Get 1gb (2x512) of GeIL Value Ram it's good stuff! www.overclockers.co.uk

Also the X800XT is good!

Samsung make ATA133 60gb SATA drives? thought they started at 80 - i have a couple.

Sorry your right, god knows why i had 60gb in my head. i want another 80gb to give me 160gb. i really need to get that before i format my comp so i run it in raid dont i? how does that work (basicaly) would one drive be c:\ and the other say d:\? and i think im going to get that memory you said, unless i find some corsair twinx on ebay for 100quid, just missed out last week. Also can anyone recomend any water cooling systems apart from the, is it zelman with the external res?

Reaction score
most water cooling kits come with a cooler for northbridge, but amd boards dont have a north bridge do they?

Reaction score
To run RAID, the 2 drives need to be identical makes and models.

The computer would recognise it as one drive, at 150Gb and it would be fast!

Reaction score
oh right, well thats what ill be doing two samsung 80gb drives. so samsung dont do a 40gb in 133SATA? cause that would be a bit less, not sure if id ever use 160gb.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tanker: as Chris said, both your 80Gb drives would be seen as drive C, size 160Gb.

By today's standards, that's not particularly huge, you'd be surpised how quick you can eat up space, especially if you install a lot of recent games.

AMD Boards have North Bridges.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
tanker: as Chris said, both your 80Gb drives would be seen as drive C, size 160Gb.

By today's standards, that's not particularly huge, you'd be surpised how quick you can eat up space, especially if you install a lot of recent games.

AMD Boards have North Bridges.
Are you familliar with the chaintech zenith board? if so could you tell me where the north bridge is? and if it can be water cooled. theirs a link here that will take you to my board, http://www.zen26266.zen.co.uk/ZNF3-250-page1.htm, must seem like a dumb question, but this is my first go at building a pc and the first time iv looked at amd processers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The size of the heatsink & fan retention mechanism though is largely offset by the fact that Chaintech do not have to fit any NorthBrisdge memory controller in the top half of the board as this function is now handled by the Athlon 64 CPU itself.

I wuz wrong, in this case :(

Well I'll be...

I really must keep up with the latest technology a little more ;)

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware that there was such thing as an SATA133 hard drive!

I thought ALL sata drivers were SATA150 at a minimum of 7200rpm and a minimum of 80Gb

Reaction score
I got mine from pc worlds component centre, all their samsung hd"s are 133, unles you get a retail version in a nice box ect. they just come in a plain brown box. it was about 56 pounds. i went today and they start at 60gb and go up to 200+ gb.

Ask a Question