Which graphics card?

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm upgrading at the moment and all I've got left to buy is a graphics card. I'm not sure what to go for, but I have in mind a 7900GTX. My question is that with a 17" monitor running at 1280x1024 (I won't be upgrading this), is it worthwhile getting a card of this level, or running at this resolution could I get away with a 'lesser' card and not notice much difference in performance?

The rest of my new PC comprises...

Mobo - MSI K9N Platinum
CPU - Athlon X2 4600+
Memory - 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS DDR2 667MHz
Supply - Hiper 580W Type R

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hey jonny :)

It depends what if you use heavy graphic applications... like graphic hungry games and the like.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

I do intend to use my new PC mainly as a gaming PC and I'd like to be able to play the latest games at their higher end. What I'm really not sure about is the resolution matter as I won't be playing above 1280x1024.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Depending on what type of games you play, 1280x1024 with high quality can start to tax even the best gaming graphics cards.
For instance, a 7900GTX running F.E.A.R at 1280x960 with 4xAA and 8XAF on only produces 60 or so fps, and Oblivion is even worse. Actually 60 fps is quite high seeing as you only need 35fps to have a jerk free game, but the point of these high end cards they produce at least 30+ frames consistently on high quality settings whereas a lesser card will do 30 - 40fps but drop to considerably less when the going gets tough.
Bare in mind also that some of the upcoming games have High Definition quality options (Crysis and new games based on the HL2 engine for instance) and these will need even better cards to get the best out of them.

Covenant

Reaction score
Covenant is right, still the 7900GTX is one of the fastest cards around, i think only topped by the 7950GX2. To get the best framerate, either of those cards will do the job.
Oh and your pc would be able to run either of those cards, if you were wondering...

:)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i suggest getting a second tier card, i do it every time and u only sacrifice 10fps and save yourself $100 or more :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
also, shop around and check anysites u can- u may be able save further if u do your research

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I am still leaning towards the 7900GTX, but I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the 7900GTO which as far as I can tell (although I am a tech half-wit!) is pretty much the same as a 7900GTX but with slower memory. Would there be much performance difference between the two and has anyone actually got one?

Cheers!

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Novatech are doing GTO's for under £200 and I would be tempted with one of these and save a few quid. I presume you are PCI-E.

Covenant

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This one?

Nice card mate, very similar to the one at OCUK, but the price is £179 at Ebuyer not £189 like you said. No matter its a tenner cheaper! :D Personally i'm not a big Ebuyer fan. but thats you choice. :)

I have been seriously thinking about upgrading and what with that and the 4800X2 at 200 quid, i'm tempted, very tempted.....

Hope it brings many hours of quality gaming for you!! :thumb:

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one. Fingers crossed with ebuyer, I know they've severely screwed up for some people in the past.

Incidentally, if you were thinking about getting one of these from Ebuyer, I'm sure the stock level has decreased by about half-a-dozen or so in the last couple of hours!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, OCUK have only limited stocks of the stuff i want so if i do want it i gotta be quick about it.
user.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i think i'll stick with my 7900 GT for a while... by the way has anyone heard anything about dual cores GPUs yet?
im not talking about the 7950 GTX either

Ask a Question