Where to buy non OEM DVD Drives

Reaction score
Where to buy non OEM DVD Drives

I am buying a DVD writer since I don't have one and I want it in addition to my CD writer. I beleive I cannot buy an OEM one since it doesn't come with the necessary cables and screws. I am after either a LITEON SOHW 1693S or NEC ND-4550A in black. Can any recommend retailers selling the non-retail versions?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you buy a DVDRW you won't need your CDRW, so use the existing cable and screws.

And go for the NEC, I have one of those, it's a good burner, has had some excellent reviews.

Try overclockers.co.uk for starters or komplett; tekheads; Scan et al....

Reaction score
Thanks but I was thinking of keeping it sinc if I sell it I presume I will get hardly anyting fo rit and in the mean time I can play a CD in one drive and copy to the other?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feival said:
Thanks but I was thinking of keeping it sinc if I sell it I presume I will get hardly anyting fo rit and in the mean time I can play a CD in one drive and copy to the other?

Yes, you're right on both counts although if you use burning software such as Nero you can still copy discs, both DVD's and CD's, you'll just have to swap the disk out half way through.

You could order an IDE cable when you purchase an OEM drive, but chances are your existing IDE cable with have a spare connector on it and both optical drives can share the same cable. Take a look inside your machine.

As for the screws, some OEM drives actually come with four screws. I haven't actually seen those screws on sale anywhere, could be a prob. I have a big tin full of screws, bolts and rubbish that I dip into.

Worst comes to the worst, just use two screws for each drive until you find another four.

Ask a Question